Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Fundraiser.

Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My niece called and ask if I know where she could rent a large griddle for a pancake fundraiser. I told her, I would ask around. Any ideas?

TIA

Mike

Comments

• If they expect a large number of people, or they plan to do it again in the future, it might be a good idea to go to a steel supply place and get a piece of steel cut to size. I saw a round one one time that was about 2' in diameter sitting on four concrete blocks with a wood fire underneath. They were making pancakes in the middle and once cooked, setting them along the edge to remain hot for the next order.

I suppose you could even do some bacon or sausage or eggs on it too.

Spring "Back To My Nap" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    Try calling Chris Cakes and ask if they will rent you one.

David
  • Mike,Call the local restaurant supply store. They tend to have new and used, probably would rent it cheap for a fund raiser. I mean we are talking a Sat. or Sun. They get it back on Monday. Most of the stores are closed for the weekend anyway. Try it, the bad news is they say no. Joe
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    That is a good idea Leroy. You might be able to get a welding shop to weld together a frame with some propane burners for the Griddle too.

I'd go rectangular and sized for those resturant pans so it could double as a fish fryer too.
  • If you plan to deep fry on a large scale, one of the best things to cook in is the end caps from large propane tanks. My uncle had some built for his catfish restaurant and he kept 4 of them going full-time on Friday and Saturday nights.

He said the rounded shape helped to spread the flames evenly over the bottom and sides. And the thickness of the steel maintained the heat when putting in a new batch of fish.

Innovation is equal to invention.

Spring "Always More Than One Way To Skin A Cat*" Chicken

* Whatever the heck that means
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Good idea. But since neither low 'n' slow nor smokiness is part of this equation... why not take measurements from that gas grill that's been collecting field mice since the Egg arrived. A lean, mean cake-cookin' machine!

Ken
  • Here's something I ran across while looking up something else.

[img size=150][/img]LittleGriddle.jpg

http://www.littlegriddle.com/products.html

Fits right on top of the gasser.

Spring "For When All Eggs Are Busy" Chicken
  • Try again on the image...

LittleGriddle.jpg

Now let's see.

Spring "Sometimes I Feel Like A Do And Sometimes I Feel Like A Don't" Chicken
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Funny how things go round and round...

Mike was inquiring about a rental; you came up with "make your own", I modified that and you trumped my modification... and when I was in Colorado and buying propane for my almighty gas grill, the rental yard where I got my propane had just such a topper for rent!

(Granted, that's a long way for Mike's niece to go, but rental yards in her area just might have such a topper.)

Ken
  • mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    I sing with a Barbershop Chorus in Athens, Al and we do a pancake fundraiser every year at Applebee's. They furnish the food, cook and building. We sell tickets, serve and clean up afterwards. We sell tickets for $5.00 for adults and usually bring in about $1500 with out of pocket cost about $150 (cost of food & pay cook). We print our own tickets to sell. This is one of the easiest fund raiser I have ever participated in.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    How about discs from an old plow? A neighbor made 2, cleaned them up and sealed them to cook for his camping buddies.
  • Old Salt
    How about discs from an old plow? A neighbor made 2, cleaned them up and sealed them to cook for his camping buddies.
  • Old Salt
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    if the rentals dont have them, cabellas has a 37 inch wide griddle plate for 89 dollars, maybe someone you or she knows has a 3 burner stove to put it on.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Butch M
    Butch M Posts: 52
    Mike

For the past 15 years we have conduct a ministry to the traveling carnival workers who travel to our annual fair. Part of this ministry includes serving a steak and egg breakfast to every fairworker. To change it up a little this year, we added pancakes. We found a propane fueled griddle at a rental company that worked fairly well. However, we learned two very important lessons. First, be sure you try it out before hand, as the griddle had a couple of “hot spots” that had to be worked around. And secondly, the thinner the batter, the better they turned out.

We cooked 1200 pancakes in 3 hours. Two folks were mixing the batter, two were cooking and two were running the pancakes to the severing line.

I hope this helps.

Butch M
  • Butch M
    Butch M Posts: 52
    Mike

For the past 15 years we have conduct a ministry to the traveling carnival workers who travel to our annual fair. Part of this ministry includes serving a steak and egg breakfast to every fairworker. To change it up a little this year, we added pancakes. We found a propane fueled griddle at a rental company that worked fairly well. However, we learned two very important lessons. First, be sure you try it out before hand, as the griddle had a couple of “hot spots” that had to be worked around. And secondly, the thinner the batter, the better they turned out.

We cooked 1200 pancakes in 3 hours. Two folks were mixing the batter, two were cooking and two were running the pancakes to the severing line.

I hope this helps.

Butch M
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Here is the biggest problem Butch. It is a Sorority thing. They don't even know what a griddle is. Your technique sounds good. I volunteered to cook.

Mike
  • Contact your local tent and party rental companies they have stuff like that for big events along with tables, chairs,linens etc.