Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EMERGENCY BRISKET HELP!!!

Options
TomCPA
TomCPA Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help!

1 1/2 hours before I serve 30 people and my briskets are in trouble. Things were fine and now they are stuck at 170 at won't move. They have been going since 8 am. I thought I factored in plenty of time. What do I do now?

Tom

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    FOIL.

They will rise quickly in foil. Double wrap them with a little liquid and you can bump the temps too if you need to.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Tom,

I had the same problem. I am sure more people with experience will jump in.

I was told to wrap with foil take the heat up to 350° and carefully watch the internal temp of the meat.

Let us know how much weight, dome and pit temps and how long it as been in the 170° range.

Kent
  • TomCPA
    Options
    They haven't quite made it to 170. I hope I am not screwed.

Tom
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I echo what the others said....wrap em up..gonna be close on time, but if you can twist a fork in em, they are done, and I would aslo recommend bumping up the temp if you do wrap them....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    How is the cook coming, make sure you use the fork test... (and watch temp).

Kent
  • TomCPA
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I wrapped and I ran.... out of here that is as the dinner was 5 minutes from home. I put them in a cooler and threw them in the oven at the kitchen and finished them there. I had to bump the temp as suggested, but they came out well and were well received. No leftovers for the most part. One person said I should think about quitting my day job and opening a restaurant. Fat chance. The people I cooked for might ask me to do more events. Maybe they will pay me some day......

Thanks for the help everyone. Next time I know what to do.

Tom
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Tom,

Glad to hear it turned out good. When there is no leftovers, what more can be said.

Kent