Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much time required to smoke a beef brisket?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to smoke a beef brisket this weekend and would like to get the forum's thoughts on how much time is required to smoke the 'perfect' brisket...before I purchased my egg, I used an offset smoker and was told to cook at a temp of about 250 to 300 and about 1 hour per pound (which, by the way, produced out a pretty tasty brisket). So, if you have a 7 lb brisket, you could expect a 7 hour cook time (I would smoke the brisket for about 3 hours on the offset and then wrap in foil and place in the oven at about 200 for 5-7 hours). However, I have seen past posts on the forum where folks have smoked a 7-8 lb brisket 12-18 hours and used a temp closer to 300. Additionally, some wrap the brisket in foil and some don't...[p]Is there a science to this or is it personal preference?[p]Any guidance from the experts out there?[p]Thanks

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    TDL,[p]No science to it, but it is only a rough estimate. Each piece of meat is different. I cook mine at dome temps of 240-250 until the brisket hits 195 internal, at which point I test it with a form for tenderness. If it isn't tender yet, I let it go another 3-4 degrees and test again. You want the fork to be easy to twist when you insert it.[p]This usually takes about 90 minutes per pound of brisket. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. If you foil your brisket at some point the cooking time will decrease and it will be done sooner. I personally do not foil a packer brisket, but will foil a flat after it hits 170*. The egg holds moisture rather well, so the 3 hour guideline you have been using isn't really necessary.[p]If it is done early, simply foil it, wrap in a towels, and place in a cooler (or your indoor oven) and it will hold a few hours. Do not slice a brisket until you are ready to serve it.
  • I've had better results cooking at a 275 dome temp. I cook it for about 1-1.5 hours per pound until it hits 180, then I foil it and cook until it's 200. It gets done in another hour or so. I don't cook them that often, but that's the best I recall how the cooks went for 6-8 pound flats.
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    And just where could someone acquire one of these tenderness forms?? Sure would be handy at a cook off. LOL