Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GASKET REPLACEMENT

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in Using the Egg
I've had my large BGE for quite awhile. I've noticed that the bottom gasket has worn off at the very back at the pivot point of the lid. I've also noticed that the smoke has started "to escape" all around it. I figure it's time to replace the top and bottom gaskets. Since this is the frst time I will attempt this right of passage, I would like to ask if there are any helpful hints that any of the eggsperts here would like to pass along to this rookie? It's the "dead of winter" here. I'm wondering if there is an ideal temperature to accomplish this task at? I will say "thank you" in advance for all the eggspert advice I hope that I am about to receive.
Mike

Comments

• Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    I've had to replace my Medium's gasket twice. Finally settled on using the Rutland from RRP, you can ping him. Getting the old one off isn't too hard. I use a putty knife to scrape off what I can. Then I use a propane torch to heat it up a little at a time, still using the putty knife behind the torch to scrape. Once it is all off, I'll then use the torch to burn off any residual glue. After that just follow the directions that come with whichever gasket you decide to install
    HTH

Ed