Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have a dilemma

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Although its a good dilemma to have, it still is one. im wanting to get another Egg. i have a large Egg now and want to get an XL-Egg. a buddy of mine was told that the XL doesnt cook as good as the Large, and from reading stuff here i kinda get the impression that the XL isnt as prone to the flashback like the Large. [p]i really would like to get an XL since i like steaks and want to cook then at 600 and higher, but if its is just as prone to flashback, and doesnt cook as good, ill just get another large Egg (i found a used one for a sweet deal).[p]any advice???

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    VictoryRay,[p]How many steaks do you plan to cook at once? [p]I believe they all cook great, and I believe they are all prone to flashback.[p]Get whatever size you need to adequately handle the volume of food you plan to prepare.
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    VictoryRay,
    Problems with the XL have been addressed and fixed,the issue was a seal problem. All new EGGs have sealed great and cook without problems since the fix. The overall height of the dome is lower than the LGE which is a drawback. They all can get a flashback at higher temps.I wouldn't be afraid of buying an XL if you need that capacity.

• Little Steven
    Options
    VictoryRay,[p]I have two larges and an extra large. I use one large for high temp cooks and one for low. The only use my XL really gets is ribs cause you can lay four racks on the grid. If you found another large for a good price, that would make the decision for me.
    There is nothing wrong with the XL as compared to the large.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    VictoryRay,[p]I have the mini, small, medium, and large sizes. I also love good steak from the eggs.[p]The best egg for steaks (IMHO) is the mini. Heat it to 550-600 degrees and sear one side flip and sear the other side and close the egg up for the time needed to finish to your desired internal temp.[p]The two big advantages of the mini over the other eggs is that your steak is very close to the coals so a very nice sear is easily possible. The second advantage is once seared, closing up the egg greatly slows moisture loss from the meat and produces a juicy result.[p]Multiple steaks are not a problem either. Sear one side of each one, then sear the other. Stack them up and them close up the mini for the finish cook. Works very well.[p]No flashback from a mini either.[p]Best of luck,
    Spin

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    VictoryRay,[p]I would have to agree with Fidel - it all depends on the amount you want to cook...[p]DSC_0015-1.jpg[p]Personally, I would get another Large and eat this bad boy, as they say, one bite at a time.
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    VictoryRay,
    Do you need the cooking area of a L plus an XL?
    Most folks I hear about with a L get a S as their second egg and that gives you excellent steak searing capability, mobility (you can take it with you on vacation)and leaves your large open to be cooking veggies or other sides at the same time.[p]But it really depends on what YOU want and how you cook. If you want the added grill area (and lump consumption) of the XL, go for it and enjoy!

• Little Steven
    Options
    Spin,[p] Yah had to say that didn't you. The mini is the only one I don't have. Just in time for Christmas too.
    LOL
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel,
    i found a good deal on a Large Egg, but if the XL is an less prone to the flashblack, ill spend the extra money for it. i had 4 big steaks on my large this weekend and had to do two more after they where done.

• VictoryRay,
    Thanks Spin, now i have to look at a mini too. [p]well, i think you all helped me make up my mind. ill go ahead and get that large one from thet guy this weekend. and after work today i think ill stop by and take a look at a mini. hell, the way i see it, you can EVER have to many.[p]thanks for the help!!!

• Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    VictoryRay,[p]If you want to turn that large into a steak searing machine,
    and get the cast iron grid and the 2-inch fire ring. [p]This thin fire ring puts the grid down lower and much closer to the coals.

• Avocados,[p]where do i get that stuff from?

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    VictoryRay,[p]If you scroll down you'll see a conversation from just a few days ago on L vs Xl where a guy's dealer was giving him bad info on the XL. If you NEED the space, the XL rocks. If cooking steaks in 2 batches is your only issue though, I'm not certain that warrants the price of the XL though. The Trex steak method is measured in seconds for the sear, even if you had to do 2 batches, do half and pull for a rest while doing the second batch. If you need to cook a little more done, throw the first batch back on while the second batch is resting. I love my XL and my L, the XL is going right now with some Car Wash Mike baby backs on it. But if it weren't for a need for space I would own 2 larges.
  • mb168
    Options
    VictoryRay,[p]read through this thread; XL vs L debate
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    VictoryRay,[p]BGE sells them and your local dealer can order them for you.[p]They are shown under the accessories section of the BGE website.[p]I picked them up at the BGE store here in Atlanta.[p]The 2" fire ring was originally made to allow you to have more room for the three tier grid, but I really like it for hi temp direct cooks just a few inches above the coals.[p]The cast iron grid really makes nice sear marks.
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    ?action=view&current=IMG_0306.jpg
    <p />Spin,[p]I concur.[p]I bought a mini from mikeb6109 specifically to be my steak machine. Turns out I use it at least for half my cooks (my wife and two girls aren't in the same carnivour category as me!!!)[p]And just to prove it can be done, I did a low-and-slow with some beef ribs on it. Put them on a 1 am, sauced at 7 am, and consumed at noon. Life is good.[p]In the pic above you can see the cast iron gril I made for it. Bought a charboil replacement cast iron grid and rented an angle grinder to cut it to shape. Ended up costing me a fortune, but as my wife says, sometimes extremely logical men lose it when the encounter tunnel vision...[p]Ottawa_egger[p]Ottawa_egger
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    <p />Ottawa_egger,[p]Sorry - botched the image post. Too much wine tonight.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • mb168,
    thanks alot mb168, i really like to do ribs and the idea of putting more than 3 slabs in my Large EGG sounds like a good thing. i also have the times for pop-in guests who like to eat, and i run out of room to cook everything i want to on the Large EGG at once. but after reading a little i think im going to buy that Large EGG i found for a good deal, and look into maybe trying a mini. for the price on the used EGG i can justify (maybe) getting a mini to play with. ill keep you updated..[p]i really appritiate all the feedback from everyone.[p]thanks, ray

• mb168
    Options
    VictoryRay,[p]Don't get me wrong, I love my XL, it's the only way to cook flat with 3+ full slabs of ribs, I hate using the rib rack, rub all the ruband sauce off putting them in and pulling them out. Last night I had 2 full BB slabs, 10 ABT's and a fattie on all at one time with plenty of space for more food, the fattie was an afterthought even and since I had the space and plenty of time left on the ribs, why not.[p]But if you only have an occasional need for it and a great deal on a large, I'd be hard pressed not to go for the large. Plus your accessories are interchangeable then too.
  • mb168,
    man, you ate good last night!! [p]thats pretty much the way my thoughts are too. i dont know why its addicting for me to want to buy as many EGG's as i can.