Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boil baby backs before?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to find the tastiest way to prepare baby backs. I am new to preparing ribs and have heard diffrent opinions on pre-boiling ribs. Is precooking the way to help remove the membrane or do you just cut and pull it off. Any help would be appreciated. What would be the best book on how to prepare ribs?
Jerr

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Hi Jerry, its not necessary to boil ribs to remove the membrane.
    About half way up the rack I insert a phillips screwdriver between the bone and membrane usually right on top of a bone and then use my finger to begin lifting the membrane from the ribs.
    I find that if I 'grip' the membrane with a paper towel it won`t slip from your fingers, usually the strip of membrane will come of in one peice, other times you have to play with it a bit but it will come.[p]I then scrape off and excess fat and give the ribs a nice coating of dry-rub, let sit in the fridge overnight.[p]Prepare the smoker at 225º-250º with some applewood and cook the ribs indirect at those temps for 4 or five hours and you should have some fine tasting ribs..[p]Some people take longer in their cooking times, you'll have to find your groove...[p]Mop

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Jerr Smith,
    Of all the BBQ books that I own (18) my favorite is Smoke & Spice. I have used receipes from this book many times on all kinds different cookers including the kitchen oven. You can find it on Amazon and have it delivered right to your door.
    I would be richer if my wife never found out about Amazon.[p]Marv
    P.S. Follow the reciepe from Mop and you will have great results. For that is the exact way I do it in my catering business.[p]www.marvsbbq.com

• Mop,[p]Thank you for the tips. I will try that method and let you know.
    Jerr

• Jerr,
    Everything Mop is telling you is right. An important point of reference. When taking the membrane off, don't work the membrane top to bottom, but rather go from side to side. This was something I figured out on my own. I'd read these posts about how easy it was to remove the membrane and every time I tried it was a butt busting affair. Then it dawned on me to try and pull the stupid thing across the rack and the membrane slipped off slick as a whistle.