Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky success!

sdbelt
sdbelt Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At long last I maded jerky that tastes great. This is particularly noteworthy in my case, as making jerky was the original reason I purchased a BGE, which may sound strange to most of you, but really, that was the primary motive.[p]So to make a long story as short as possible (we don't have 8 months to completely relive my short BGE history), here's what I did:[p]Started with a 3lb london broil. Sliced it cross-grain into 1/8" (or so) slices. If I could, I'd slice it with the grain, but I can't. Marinated it overnight in a mixture of soy sauce, worchestersire, teriaki sauce, merlot, salt, white pepper, paprika, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder.[p]Next day I started up the Egg, indirect using the plate setter inverted. Leary of run away temps, I was quick to clamp down the vents. Still leary of run away temps, I loaded the Egg with the meat, before the temp had stabilized. I didn't want the dome open for an extended time after stabilizing. The first 30 minutes the dome was 150-160. Next 30 minutes it reach about 175. To carefully watch this, I used my Redi-Check remote thermometer as a dome thermometer, and watched it from my couch. [p]After the first hour I needed to flip and rotate the meat around. And this is where trouble usually starts for me. I've learned that with my low temp cooks, when I open the lid, the fire comes alive, and simply closing the lid with the same vent settings does not return things to normal. So I got pretty extreme. I entirely closed the bottom vent and slid the daisy to fully closed on top, and let it sit like this for a couple minutes. Then I slowly opened things up again.[p]And it worked. Fire bumped up to the low 180's, but it didn't bust out into the 200's as usually happens. Watching from the couch I monitored the temps for the next hour and then flipped and rotated. This time I wasn't so extreme with the vent closing, but I was still pretty careful. By the 4th hour I found a vent setting that I could safely use to control the post opening flare-up, and maintain the next hours cook in the low 180's. Either that, or the lump had relaxed on me, coupled with quicker openings of the dome as the jerky neared completion. [p]After 6.5 hours some of the jerky was removed and the remainder was removed after 7.5 hours. When I removed it, I really didn't think it was done, but we wanted to go see a movie, and it was time to be done. Turns out it was completely done. That's another lesson. Jerky is done before you think it is. Hot jerky is still quite plyable, so it seems as if it isn't done, but it was.[p]In all I couldn't be happier. The highest dome temp I ever reached was 188. Mostly it was ~183. That's a tad higher than the 175 I wanted, but a far cry better than I've ever done. Using the Redi-check worked great, and so did trying to control the post-dome opening flare-ups. The only thing not perfect about the jerky was the cross-cutting, but still, it was (still is) some darn good stuff.[p]Here's a picture of the nearly complete result:[p] image-display?photo_id=533217&size=md[p]Other pictures can be found here.[p]--sdb

Comments

• sdbelt,[p]That looks great ! Way to go :) [p]About what proportions of ingredients did you use for the marinade ? I want to give this a try this comming weekend.[p]Thanks in advance... and happy Egging.. BB

• sdbelt
    BB,[p]I started with the recipe found here. Then I added some teriaki sauce (just poured some from a bottle...1/4 cup?) and some merlot (again, some random amount from the bottle...another 1/4 cup?), paprika (maybe a teaspoon?), substituted white pepper for black pepper, added chilli powder (less than a teaspoon?) and brown sugar (a tablespoon?). [p]This is how I cook most of the time. I sorta add the amount that seems right.[p]Without modification, that recipe is really simple and does make good jerky. I just wanted to "kick it up a notch".[p]--sdb
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    sdbelt,
    Great looking jerky! I will have to give that a try myself. I have made it in the past using round steak but not on an egg. I feel a weekend smoke session coming on.
    John

• sdbelt,[p]Thank you so much... cant wait for the weekend :)[p]Happy Egging ... BB

• sdbelt, I am new at this sending of mail but here goes. I have had my green egg for about 7 years and the other day decided to try and do some deer jerky. I just laid it up on the rack and had my temp. about 150,didn't have any trouble keeping the temp. but my center pieces got done way before my outside pieces. What are you talking about when you said you used a plate inverter? Thanks so much as I want to learn to cook jerky better.
  • sdbelt
    norma gough,[p]Sounds like you probably didn't open your dome as much as I did. To avoid the edge pieces cooking faster than the center pieces, when cooking indirect, I was flipping and moving the meat in and out of the grill, every hour.[p]The "plate inverter" (need to re-read my post to check for better grammar), is the BGE Plate Setter installed inverted, such that the feet stick up, to support the grill. Looking at the pictures, you can see that the grill is higher than if it were resting on the fire ring. The plate setter raised it up, and provides a buffer against the fire. However, the outer edge of the grill will still get a more direct heat, and that's why I flip and rotate the meat every hour.[p]It's possible I could switch to every 90 minutes, but I doubt going to every 2 hours would be good. At every hour the jerky finished cooking together pretty well.[p]--sdb
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    sdbelt,[p]Glad you turned out some good jerky! I have been making it for close to 20 years now and started selling it several years ago. I started on an electric ECB...it finally died on me last year, so I now make on my WSM.[p]Anyway, I put together a web page with all I have learned over those years. Take a look! A few good hints you may want to try.[p]At the bottom is a link to more recipes. I have tried hundreds over the years and keep coming back to my base recipe and add subtle variations from it. But, the ones at the link are others I have made and enjoyed...thought you may also![p]Good luck in the future!
    [ul][li]Kevi's Jerky Page[/ul]
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Stogie,[p]Thank you! Two months ago I lost the link to your page (OS reinstall) and couldn't remember the name. [p]Excellent site. I'm going to try the toothpicks next time.[p]Cathy
  • Stogie
    Cathy,[p]My pleasure! [p]The toothpicks allow me to make 5 - 6 pounds at a time. That is 120-150 strips..a HUGE pain, but well worth the effort.[p]Keep in mind, your yield will only be 30%....6 pounds ends up finished at 2 pounds. I have been buying bottom round recently..a little fatter and therefore more trimming, but at a $1.49/lb. so much cheaper than inside top round($4.99/lb.).[p]bbqflames.gif

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Stogie,[p]I've been using brisket, but will check out top/bottom round. Last time I used sugar maple for smoke, and was very pleased with the result.[p]Cathy
  • sdbelt
    Stogie,[p]Thanks for the info. Have you tried London Broil to make jerky with? I'm liking that, as it doesn't have any fat as well, but wonder if there's any reason why it's a poor choice.[p]--sdb
  • Stogie
    sdbelt,[p]I think any no-fat meat is fine. Price must play a big part in your descision because of the paltry yield. Whatever you are paying, triple it for your finished cost.[p]We don't get a lot of London Broil around here. This is part of the chuck, cut from the pectoral muscle, so it should be OK. Again, price would be the issue for me. I used to use flank steak, but the price is much too expensive now.[p]Even my beloved top round is way out of line....so I watch for bottom round to go on sale.[p]bbqflames.gif