Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Braised and Grilled Beef Short Ribs

Marvin
Marvin Posts: 515
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had such a great meal yesterday that I thought y'all might like to try this technique. I resurrected an old recipe from the NY Times from March, 2001, modified if a bit and ended up with the best short ribs ever. They are usually too fatty so our only other method of cooking these are slow/low with a great Texas rub. Here's a new way: put favorite rub on 4 rib rack for 1-3 hours; prepare marinade by softening some carrots, onions, leeks (1/2 cup each, diced)and garlic (3-5 gloves, minced) and 2 tsp thyme in a little oil. Add 3 cups red wine and a 1/3 cup wine vinegar. Place short ribs in marinade for 24 hours. Remove from marinade and brown rack of ribs, then place in roasting pan with reboiled marinade to which 2 cups veal stock or chicken stock are added. Braise the rack at 275 for 3-31/2 hours in a tightly covered roasting pan until bones fall off. Remove bones and any remaining gristle and fat and set meat aside until it reaches room temp. In the meantime, strain the liquid from the roasting pan and simmer until reduced to a thin syrup. It was so rich at this point that we added a bit of flavored vinegar to the right taste. This becomes the sauce for the meat. The meat is grilled as one whole piece at high temp on the Egg for 3-4 minutes per side, and served hot with the sauce. It is truly outstanding: no fat; extremely tender; nice crust on top and bottom.
Enjoy,
Marvin

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Marvin,[p]This technique is similar to one contained in the Dinosaur BBQ book which I received as a gift for Christmas. In the Dinosaur version, the meat is covered in flour and a bbq rub then seared on all sides in a pan. Next, the ribs are covered in red wine, Q sauce, and a bunch of spices/veggies and braised in a foil covered pan in the oven for 3 hours or so. I've been meaning to try this technique, and am now meaning even more to try the technique because of your endorsement.[p]Thanks for the tips,
    Cornfed

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Cornfed,
    Sounds different enough for me to try that also. The one thing I liked about the Times version was the nice grilled crust on the outside of the meat developed just before eating. That's what's so great about cooking and discussing: the variations and the pleasure go up geometrically.
    Regards,
    Marvin

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Marvin,[p]I agree on the grilled crust part. Also, ribs in the oven over ribs on the smoker? Crazy! I'll probably try the Times version first, too.[p]Thanks again,
    Cornfed