Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey Bourbon Smoked Ham and Split Pea Soup ala BGE

Options
mojopin
mojopin Posts: 200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ham
<p />I decided to go with Egret's Maple Bourbon smoked ham. The boyfriend HATES maple syrup for some really odd reason, so I went with Honey. The outcome was amazing and I recommend trying egrets or any double smoked ham recipe you'd like.[p]I used a precooked bone-in, non-sprial ham.
Injected with a cup of honey and philips union bourbon/whiskey blend the night before and slathered on a paste/rub the next morning.[p]Smoked with cherry wood.[p]Here are the results.
DSC03343.jpg[p]DSC03342.jpg[p]And the bone made some wonderful split pea soup the next day :)
DSC03389.jpg

Comments

• mojopin,
    That looks really good. I'm going to try Egret's ham next Saturday too. Did you end up cooking it for about 5 hrs at 250 degrees?

• mojopin
    Options
    NUMAN,[p]I pulled it after about 4 hours... seemed to creep up fast and I didn't want it to dry out. Pull it at like 135 and wrap in foil and a towel. It will come up to 140 on it's own. Next time I would put it on the grid above the drip pan though. The end pieces tasted a lot like boubon! Not that it's a bad thing, but a little overpowering. [p]All and all a total winner. We enjoyed it for a few days.[p]-Jill
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    mojopin,
    That's a thing of beauty! Glad it turned out so well for you. Did you inject it with the honey as well? Makes for some great split pea soup too, as you pointed out......

• mojopin
    Options
    egret,[p]Thanks, yes, I did inject with the honey as well. Mixed that and the bourbon together so it wasn't as thick.[p]I had to freeze some soup, I think I made too much!
    -Jill