Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Q'in, A Blood Sport

Options
PuppyBreath
PuppyBreath Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
have taken a breather and entering the forum again (so to speak)[p]want to thank everyone for their kind words...[p]though the waters are a little rough i'm back up on my board and
i very much want to share the company of the fine posters here...[p]brace yourself, North West Coast Bad Eggin PupDawg is back and i'm wearing my singe proof neoprene booties...[p]Pup[p]ps...anybody got a recipe for smoked fresh oysters? [p]

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    PuppyBreath,
    When you get a good recipe, please post it. I would love some good smoke oysters.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    PuppyBreath,
    Nice to have you back. Gretl has had some success. I found this thread from some time ago (not sure how I found it with the archive search working the way it does).[p]See if you can get some inspiration at this link.[p]Cheers!
    NB

[ul][li]An old smoked oyster thread[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    PB:[p]Good to see your skin is thicker than you led us to believe earlier . . .[p]In a well-preheated cooker I smoke at 200º dome. I like raw oysters so done to me may not be the same to you. I use a grill topper (a cooking sheet with holes that will not let food fall into the fire) and some wood chips (Jack Daniel's chips for me) and smoke them till I cannot wait anymore and eat them with a home made cocktail sauce. Careful with the smoke as you may not like too much.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    hey Darryl.
    I am a big fan of cocktail sauce, and just realized it has been years since I had any. Care to share your cocktail sauce recipe??? [p]I remember, too, liking it as a kid. I wonder if the twins would go for it.[p]Hope all is well down in Jawga.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    PuppyBreath,[p] Where in the NW are you? I am here also.
    Get yourself a copy of Smoke & Spice I have many bbq?smoking books and this is by far my favorite. It has some receipes for the smoked oysters. I haveen't tried them yet, but will soon. I just ate my first oyster this last Nov. while I was in Texas and loved it. I have truley missed out on some good eatin' in my 51 years.[p]www.marvsbbq.com[p]Marv

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    PuppyBreath,
    Hey welcome back! I don't like oysters, so I can't help you. Glad you reconsidered your position.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Chris:[p]Unfortunately, I do not have exact measurements due to the nature of how I make my sauce. The reason why is I take a large catsup bottle (regardless of size) that is 3/4 full and add the following to taste: Horseradish (Gold's, Silver Spring, and Batampte are great brands), fresh fine ground black and white pepper, hot sauce (Tabasco and Cholula are favorites) and fresh lemon juice. With the lid closed I shake till thoroughly mixed and chill prior to use. Lasts until used up in the refrigerator.[p]Just mix up a batch a little on the mild side and put it on the table. The girls will go for it as long as they do not know what is in it!
  • WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    Hiya, Pup![p]Great to see you dove back in. Welcome back.[p]Bob

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    PuppyBreath, look in the seafood section of the book I sent you. Gretl contributed a great recipe for doing oysters on rosemary and I thought I put it in.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Here it is:
    Gretl’s Grilled Oysters
    Submitted by Gretl (6-21-2001)
    Ingredients:
    1 pt oysters
    2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 TBS chopped garlic
    1/2 tsp hot sauce (Sriracha sauce is good)
    1/2 fresh lime (or lemon) juiced
    3-4 branches fresh Rosemary
    Directions:
    Drain a pint of oysters (save the liquor for stew) and toss them with extra virgin olive oil, chopped
    garlic, freshly ground black pepper, a squirt or two of hot sauce (Sriracha sauce is very good; it's
    available in Asian markets), and maybe a squeeze or two of lemon or lime.
    Get the Egg going to about 300 to 350.
    On a rack over a shallow pan lined with foil, lay branches of fresh rosemary. I put a bit of water in
    the pan to keep the drippings from burning.
    Lay the oysters right on the rosemary in one layer.
    Set the pan on a couple of firebricks.
    Check the oysters after about a half an hour. They're done when they've shrunk up and are a nice
    brown color and are tender but not squishy. They have been left for as long as two hours without
    being ruined.
    Notes:
    I've used lower heat and longer time, and higher heat if I'm in a hurry. They are truly amazing. As
    far as smoke flavor...I have used alderwood chips, and I've used no chips at all. Both are good.
    Most of the flavor seems to come from the rosemary. Experiment and see what suits you!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    PuppyBreath,
    Hi Patricia, *wink*
    Welcome back, hope you find the waters nice and warm here. I was not brought up on seafood but still enjoy your post. Please stay and have a good time. We hope that you will "NOT" need your singe proof neoprene booties, but if you do, use them and stick around. (smile)
    New Bob Ü

• PuppyBreath,[p]Glad to have you back......you are a great part of this forum and a very helpful contributor.......WELCOME AGAIN!!
  • Frozen Chosen
    Options
    PuppyBreath,
    with Alaksan or BC oysters, the best way to cook them is not to. With "outside" oysters, you want to cook them to neutralize the hepatitis, but no more. BTW, we were in Vancouver recently and enjoyed Tojo's and Vigh's restaurants. Still recovering from the bill at Tojos's; no wonder the entire staff came out and bowed as we entered our taxi.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    PuppyBreath,[p]Welcome back, Pup.[p]Puj
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Wise One,
    Thanks for posting this. I'm still smoking oysters this way, and they're terrific.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• PuppyBreath,[p]Hi, did you get my email to you ? :) [p]So nice to see you back.... Honest ! [p]Now keep that salt shaker next to your computer so you can take a grain of it with some of the comments here.[p]Oh, and "YES" BBQ is a blood sport.[p]BTW, sorry .. I have never smoked oysters ... but love them raw. I get them all the time at a Sushi bar here where I live and just love them... but I imagine you would just put them on a bed of rock salt and smoke at like 200 deg. for a few minutes... sample.... and so on until they turned out the way you like them best. [p]Welcome back PuppyBreath :) BB