Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Bread Bake

Options
Smokin' Lady
Smokin' Lady Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first bread today, an artisan loaf with chopped, dried fruit. I think I remember a post saying you should have a pan of water under it, is that right? Any other helpful hints? Thanks.

Comments

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Smokin' Lady,
    If you're just baking as you would in an indoor oven, you just need indirect heat--i.e. platesetter and pizza stone on top, etc. I would put a few balls of crushed foil or the three little green feet to get the stone up off of the platesetter to keep from burning the bottom. Or you could go legs up with the platesetter and put the stone on the cooking grid.If you want it particularly steamy in the egg to help with crust development, the water would be OK, I suppose. I've been told that the steam is only needed for the first few minutes to help with the crust development. I would be careful adding water to a hot drip pan though. I'll bet you can break the ceramic easily. Good luck.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Smokin' Lady,
    I do not use a water pan when I make bread in the Egg, in the oven I mist with a water bottle when the bread first goes in, but I don't even do that on the Egg. -RP

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Smokin' Lady,
    I'd suggest you heat up the egg for an hour before the bread goes in. The dome will soak up heat and give the bread a better crust and the lump will be burning nice and clean. An easy setup is plate setter legs up, grid on legs and bread pan on grid. No water needed. With fruit in the bread I'd go 400 dome and a longer bake so the bread is fully cooked. Good luck and have fun!

• ClayQ,[p]Agree -- heat up the egg for an hour -- get the ceramic really holding heat, and burn off all previous greasy-stinkies.[p]I have found that 400 is a little hot in my small, and dries out the outside 1/2+ inch more than it should be, and have had much more successful bakes [in the small!] @ 375.[p]I heat to 450, hold the heat... then drop the temp for a 375 bake. I usually do at least six loaves in succession to take advantage of the hot egg with a clean burn.[p]Good luck![p]~ Broc