Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings

Razorback
Razorback Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions/thoughts on wings? I am planning to do my first batch later this week?
Razorback

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Razorback,
    This link is all you need for killer wings. They are lightly breaded, and come out suprisingly crispy.[p]Also try Tanker Tim's Okinawan Hot Wings
    http://BigGreenEgg.com/recipes/poultry/chicken/poultry0055.htm[p]They, too, are righteous. Wings do very nicely direct over a low fire, 250-275. About an hour flipping gently every 10-15. many ways to season them. ChefRD's and TT's recipes being my favorites. Something as simple as sprinkling with a good rub works well also.[p]Wings are one of the family's favorites. I am doing some tomorrow.[p]Enjoy!
    NB

[ul][li]ChefRD's Righteous Hotwings[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Razorback,
    Just finished some. You might try this: 1qt Red Hot (Sams's Club), 6 heads garlic, smashed, 1 cup brown sugar, bunch of fresh sage, smashed, 1T Dave's Insanity (or a quart of any weaker hot sauce). Marinade wings for 2 days, then grill at 220F for about 45minutes, turning half way through. Throw some wood chips on as you go. I serve it with the usual blue cheese/s. cream sauce.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Wings_04_02_00_05.jpg
    <p />Razorback, I agree with NB - if you want to see what ChefRD's Wings look like, check oput the link. If you try these, you'll like the results! Thanks ChefRD![p]Life is GOOD! :~}

[ul][li]ChefRD's Hot Wings[/ul]
  • Gfw,
    my mouth is watering already. Can't wait to try 'em.
    Razorback

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Razorback,
    I've tried ChefRD's and GFW's methods---both are truly great and the basis to a successful wing cook on the Egg...although I'm sure others have their own and different recipes, too.
    Here's a great sauce I enjoy a lot, that someone posted the link to several months ago, which is very reminiscent of a popular commercial product, called "Wingtime" sauce (comes in a variety of heat ranges and flavors)...this is more akin to their Hot Garlic:[p]2 tablespoons flour
    2 1/2 oz. of butter (or more, if you like!)
    12 to 16 oz. bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce (Crystal, Franks's, Durkee's, etc.)
    2-5 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 1/2 tablespoons of vinegar (red, white, apple, champagne...whatever's handy works!)[p]Melt butter and saute garlic for 2-3 minutes (don't burn garlic). Add the flour, stirring and making into a roux and cook for 5 minutes. Slowly add the hot sauce, and keep stirring or whisking to avoid it getting lumpy, and add your vinegar. Cook over a low simmer flame to thicken (but stir!),and to cook the roux out.[p]This will keep in the frig pretty well if in a sealed container for a couple of weeks, and freezes well, too.[p]Bon Egetit,
    Big Murth

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Razorback,[p]I'm suprised WaWa Wings have not been mentioned yet. Mix two parts Obie's fajita seasoning to one part Lawry's. Sprinkle mixture liberally on wings and grill at 280 to 300 degrees for about an hour or until crispy. I turn every 15 min. or so. I get my Obie's at the BGE store here in Atlanta but it may be hard for you to get. djm5x9 knows additional ways to get it.[p]Also I've tried my Buffalo Wing sauce on unseasoned wings grilled the same way and they were great and suprisingly crispy. I always thought the only way to cook a chicken wing was to deep fry them. Wrong.
  • AndyR,
    Thanks. I am in Atlanta (Marietta) also, so a trip to the BGE store is not out of the question.

• Big Murth,
    I have to ask. What is a roux?

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Razorback:[p]Link to Obie's for your interest. Obie has revised his site and does not list gallon quantities. I hope he still sells by the gallon as that is an extremely cost efective way to purchase favorites like Gatorbreath and Fajita. You can give him a call if you are interested, really nice fellow to deal with.[p]I hope Tim does not take exception to me posting this!
    [ul][li]Obie-Cue's[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Razorback,[p]Here's a recipe from my web site:[p]Mrs Dog's Chicken Wings
    (Great on breasts, too!) [p]* 5 lbs. chicken wings
    * 5 tbls. olive oil
    * 1/4 cup Mrs Dog's Jamaican Jerk Marinade
    * 1.5 cups grated Parmesan cheese
    * In a large bowl mix oil and jerk, add wings and marinate 2-24 hours-The LONGER the HOTTER...! Add cheese and mix well. (When I'm not rushed, I actually roll each wing in the cheese).[p]Grill at 375, indirect.[p]Bone appétit! JCA

[ul][li]Unleash the Flavor![/ul]
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Razorback,
    According to Webster's, "a cooked mixture of flour and fat (butter) used as a thickening agent in a soup or sauce."
    Lots of French recipes, and certainly a lot of your great dishes from Louisiana will require a roux to establish the proper consistency. If you ever do any wok cooking, sometimes the recipe will call for mixing a little water or chicken broth with cornstarch, to thicken the wok sauce--same kind of effect.
    Big Murth

• Perk
    Perk Posts: 2
    Razorback,
    I'm kinda partial to a Bobby Flay recipe called Grilled Chile Wings. The URL follows:[p]These are incredibly good....I cook mine direct for about 40 minutes per batch @ 275. Oh, and I definitely recommend you get two grill racks so you can put the wings between them and flip or rotate all of them at the same time....a BIG time saver, plus you won't have the lid up so much.

[ul][li]Grilled Chile Wings[/ul]