Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg

Tommy
Tommy Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow, just put my new extra large egg together and cooked a beer can chicken.
The reason I bought the egg was for temperature control, my old grill inhaled charcoal and it was a constant battle to keep temps up for a reasonably fast cook. Long cooks required a lot of charcoal and numerous additions to keep it going.
I was sick of hearing "is it done yet" cause I never knew for sure when that was going to be.
Cooked the bird in an hour and my kids loved it.
It's good to be a member of the club.
I had nightmares about spending that much money on a grill but I will sleep good tonight.

Comments

• Tommy,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of eggdome! May I be the first person to teach the secret hand shake. So that you will be able to get in to your local EggFest. I also want to be the first to call you an "EGGHEAD!" Good luck and may you never have to say " no that's not burned, its bark!

• jruloph,[p]Congratulations and welcome. You have a lot of good eatin and fun cookin ahead of you. Also, you will be hearing a lot of 'that is the best...'[p]Looking forward to hearing about your cooks.[p]Kent
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Tommy,[p]Congratulations on the new BGE! You're going to love cooking on it. I cooked on mine for almost two weeks straight, conducting various "experiments" with different cuts, and with old standards to learn how different it is to cook on an egg vs. the old ways of cooking on a gasser and a kettle.[p]You'll find a lot of helpful people here on the forum, and who knows--you may find out there are people here on the board who live not too far from you.[p]I'd recommend some ribs for your next cook, ala Car Wash Mike. I'll include a link to his recipe, which I believe is hosted on thirdeye's site.[p]-Mike[p]
    [ul][li]Scroll down toward the bottom for the recipe section[/ul]
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Tommy,
    Congrats on such a smart purchase! I think you'll notice a major difference and an increase in cookin fun. If you have any question feel free to ask. Next you may want to try a spatchcocked chicken, twice as juicy IMO. And remember to take pictures to post. At my house, there's two things we do before eating, saying prayers and taking pictures.LOL.
    DSCI0007-7.jpg

• Big'un,
    What are the eyes mad from? Radish? That is so cool!!

• BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Tommy,

Weclome to what I have discovered in a few short weeks is a whole new world of cooking. Get ready to have a lot of fun.
  • Big'un
    GenesGrill,
    Yes the exterior of the eyes were radish and inside the radish were stuffed olives. Did you notice there were no wings, these were four legged chickens. Haha. Amazing what you can do with some twine and a large sewing needle. I know,"Stop playing with your food!". Haha. Fun project though.

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Tommy,
    congratualtions, as far as the expense, i felt the same until i thought about how much money i spent on gassers. $700 for the last one that lasted 7 years. in the long run the egg is a bargain and an heirloom. EXCEPT that once you get going you will want more accesories, dutch ovens plate setters then another egg or two.. ha ha you are hooked, it's too late to turn back. give up to the addiction.

• Big'un,
    ROTFLMAO!!!!! You've got way too much time on your hands! :>)

• Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 116
    bill,
    Your right about the addiction, it's easier to just give in than to fight something you can't beat.
    But I've never owned a gas grill, they are more convient but they don't have the flavor IMO.
    Besides I'm a smoker, if it want smoke I want buy it.

• Big'un
    GrillGurl,
    You have no idea!Haha Just wait til you see my chili..moahahaha(sinister laugh)!!