Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a couple nice ribeyes. How would be the best way to smoke them

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Tim,[p]Don't smoke. T-Rex em.
    [ul][li]T-Rex[/ul]
  • hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    I cook steaks super-hot and fast. Basically the T-Rex method, which the Naked Whiz covers on his website. Since steaks aren't really on the fire for long using this method, if you want heavy smoke flavor, you need to get a major smoke going pretty early in the cook. I'll assume you aren't going to sear in a skillet, per T-Rex, but go straight to a red-hot grill. In this case, get the Egg up to 600 or so with the grill out. Burp the egg, then scatter in a good handful of soaked chips. I use hickory with red meat, usually. Put the grill in and let the grill heat for about 10 minutes or so. Throw on the steaks, turn after a minute or so. Pull them off and cover them, then shut down the egg completely. When the temp drops to 400 (this could take some time), toss in some more chips. Then, when the smoke starts good, put the steaks back on and cook to desired doneness. This is HEAVY smoking for a steak, IMHO.

Remember to be careful when you're working at 600F+
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    rbeye3.jpg
    <p />Mike in Abita,
    Hope he does okay. Sounds kind of new for that. But, that is what needs to be done. I do throw in some Jack Daniels chips every now and then. Just a different flavor.[p]Mike

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN1842.jpg
    <p />Mike in Abita,
    As Mike said T-Rex

• Car Wash Mike,
    yes, I am very new but have to take those first steps to learn. Any guidance you guys give me will continue to be greatly appreciated. Sorry if i come across as stupid

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Tim,
    Stupid is not asking. How new is your egg? You might have gasket issues if to new. Okay, take the ribeyes out. Put on a plate with EVOO and salt and pepper only. Let set at room temp for 1 hour. Have egg ready. I can sear at 600. some like to go hotter. Then follow the T-Rex instructions.
    You will be fine.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    Egg is two months old. It is a large. While practicing a few times, i have easily pulled it above 700, not an issue. What gasket issue should i be aware of

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Tim,[p]This is what they mean, Trex. You won't find it here.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Tim,
    You have had your egg up the temp you need.
    Your good to go. Post results and pics, so we know how well you did.[p]Mike

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    Tim,
    There are no stupid questions on this forum. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Definetly post pics. Either that or cut the steak in half. Send one half to me and the other to Car Wash Mike for flavor testing. We will post results upon analysis.[p]Happy to Help
    Mike

• ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    Options
    Tim,[p]Just finished three great ribeyes, along with twice baked potatoes. Was that good....