Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical Turkey Roaster vs V-Rack

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the preferred method? The Big Green Egg cookbook insists on the Vertical Roaster, but I've noticed many folks use the V-Rack. Does it make a difference? Also, is a dry rub on a turkey universally accepted or do most of the pro's avoid it? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• alternity
    Options
    DawgSmoke,
    I would think the vertical roaster allows more even and through smoke penetration. Also it keeps fats and juices from pooling into the body cavity makeing better presentation and better cooking for the bird.[p] have a happy xmas

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    DawgSmoke,[p]Both setups work. The V-Rack will allow you to cook a larger bird than the Vertical roaster. Can't help you on the dry rub, don't use one on a turkey.[p]Puj
  • DawgSmoke,
    I have only done one turkey but getting ready to do my second. My friend suggested that I use the V-rack with the turkey turned breast down. He has had an egg for several years and so he finally prevailed. The turkey came out very moist. I think that the juices drip down into the cavity and they absorb into the breast keeping it moist. We were very please. I will be doing my next one on Christmas day and will again use the v-rack, breast down. I smoke a plain turkey.

• Doc
    Doc Posts: 8
    Options
    DawgSmoke, I smoked my first turkey on the BGE during Thanksgiving and got great results with the vertical rack. However, I did discover one important thing. Your must take care to make a drip pan as small as possible. Just large enough to fit under the rack. My first one was too big and it kept putting out the fire. Also, remove your turkey at about 10 degrees short of the required time (170 instead of 180}. The turkey will continue to cook for awhile before it starts to cool down. Incidentally, I used apple wood for smoke and it was great. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
  • Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    DawgSmoke,
    I've had great success with the vertical roaster. The biggest turkey that I can get in the large egg with the vertical roaster is 18 lbs.
    Rich[p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    DawgSmoke,
    The vertical roaster will cook the turkey much faster. My friend insists on using his vertical roaster and has good results. But, he likes a lot of smoke flavor and the bird cooks too fast for him. I prefer not using either. I opt for turkey on the grill over a drip pan. Depeneding on how big your turkey is, if it doesn't fit well in the v-rack, it will more or less take the shape of the rack. I'll be doing a turkey flat on it's back on the grill Monday morning. Tonight however, a 12 pound boneless rib roast is on the menu.