Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am in trouble

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have to have a pork butt ready by 4 pm today - it is 9am west coast - went to sleep last night after following Elder Ward's rec on the fire - it went out some time last night. I have it back on with the internal temp of the butt at 125 deg. Should I cook the meat at a higher temp ( now at 200 deg)?? to have it ready sooner? Any rec would be greatly appreciated. Thank in advance to all you veterans.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    NoviceEgger,
    Kick that dome temp to 250*-275*. You'll be OK.

• JJ,
    Thanks for the rapid response - I just went out and raised it to 275. Let me share with you a different rec that I received - see what you think. I was in Milwaukee at a party with one of the central features a pulled pork dish with a fabulous barbcue sauce ( vinegar based with OJ, tomato paste, and molasses) The pulled pork recipe was not smoked - it was an old Harlem family recipe - here it is:
    6lbs of pork butt
    1 quart vinegar
    2 tbl dry mustard
    1 tbl crushed red pepper
    1/2 cup sugar
    Place meat in large pot. Add vinegar, mustard, pepper , and sugar. Add water, if necessary, to cover meat. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer until meat falls apart. Cooking time about 3 hours.
    JJ, here's my question - what do you think about continuing to slow cook my pork in the BGE and then switching to the above method a couple of hours prior to my party? Do you think it would ruin the pork? Am I safer to just keep cooking at 275 deg and forego the vinegar boil?

• JJ,
    Thanks for the rapid response - I just went out and raised it to 275. Let me share with you a different rec that I received - see what you think. I was in Milwaukee at a party with one of the central features a pulled pork dish with a fabulous barbcue sauce ( vinegar based with OJ, tomato paste, and molasses) The pulled pork recipe was not smoked - it was an old Harlem family recipe - here it is:
    6lbs of pork butt
    1 quart vinegar
    2 tbl dry mustard
    1 tbl crushed red pepper
    1/2 cup sugar
    Place meat in large pot. Add vinegar, mustard, pepper , and sugar. Add water, if necessary, to cover meat. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer until meat falls apart. Cooking time about 3 hours.
    JJ, here's my question - what do you think about continuing to slow cook my pork in the BGE and then switching to the above method a couple of hours prior to my party? Do you think it would ruin the pork? Am I safer to just keep cooking at 275 deg and forego the vinegar boil?

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Novice Egger, lose the boil....the bbq will look after cooking the butt..[p]