Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Receipe for cleaning grid?

Options
Jeeves
Jeeves Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
pACE2-1188660reg.jpg
<p />Ok, first, sorry for the repeat, but this doesn't get archieved...[p]I'm trying to gather all the pieces to clean my grid.[p]The top of a galvanized trash can -
Not at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, WalMart[p]Possible Alternative: A water heater pan? Any other ideas[p]Cleaner: Dawn Power Dissolver?
Not at WalMart, Home Depot, or Target[p]Next Stop: Local Grocery stores and Ace hardware[p]Next step: Purchase a new grid ;)[p]-Jeeves

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Jeeves,[p]What's wrong with the top of a plastic trash can? [p]Some say that grease can be removed by putting the item into a heavy plastic trash bag, pouring in a cup of ammonia, letting sit for some hours, then rinsing. I know this removed latex paint but haven't actually tried it with my grid.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Jeeves,
    email me your address and I'll send you as many bottles as you want as long as you pay me for them and the postage. The water heater pan will work, but the reason I came up with the garbage can lid is it is cheap, small enough to just straddle the normal kitchen sink and with the shape when upside down the debris settles to the bottom so that when dumping down the kitchen drain you can stop and strain or pitch the crud outside.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Jeeve's
    Cleaning plan #1, This may be a bigger issue to some than others. To me it has never been. Typically, I allow the coals to come up to temperature 225+ with the grid above the coals directly, before hitting with a brass wire grill brush. Then I go over it with a paper towel, lightly saturated with cooking oil and it's ready. IMHO
    Cleaning plan #2 Scrape lightly and place in dishwasher.
    Cleaning plan #3 Brillo Pad and elbow grease.
    Cleaning plan #4 Allow temps to go up to 600 degrees or more [p]The ammonia in a bag works good if you place it in for overnight. Sometimes I get hungry before then. It's never really been much of an issue in 20+ years of egging or regular grilling for that matter :o)

• Jeeves,[p]Just opened my dishwasher 30 minutes ago. Inside were 2 BGE large grids, one original 5 years old black porcelin, 1 new SS TJV ordered about 4-5 months ago, 2 year old BGE Small grill and a Wally world special $.94 aluminum rack used a few days ago for a leg of lamb. These were washed with Electrosol Jet Dry. After they had been finished for 20 minutes, I took them out and with a dish rag went over the pieces. Just as good as new. I do this about every 4-6 cooks over 2-3 weeks. Has worked great for the last few years, however I have to do it when the lady is gone so she does not see all the grease I introduce to the system.
  • Jeeves, Dawn Power Disolver is available at my Wally World.
    Took me a while to find it. It was either in the laundry soap aisle or the household cleaner aisle, don't remember which.

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Jeeves,[p]
    Large tray for large flower pot!
    Ross

• Jeeves
    Options
    Ross in Ventura,[p]That's a good idea - I'll investigate.
  • Jeeves
    Options
    RichardFl,[p]Thanks - I don't have to worry about a DW guard - I just need to find the solution, ingredients to wash all the tools...[p]Thanks
    -Jeeves

• Jeeves
    Options
    RRP,[p]
    Thanks 4 the offer - I'll let u know..
    -Jeeves

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Jeeves,
    I have one its on my cart.
    DSCN1785.jpg
    Good Luck,
    Ross

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Ross,[p]Is that a large or medium egg on your rack?[p]What did you use for your top and how did tou cut the hole in the wire rack?[p]I have been wondering about those racks but kind of concerned about the rusting problem due to being outside.[p]Thanks, Kent[p]

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    i use the same cart for my seedlings and smaller plants it is outside april-nov in the garage for the winter AND it gets watered daily during the growing season. after 5 years there is some beginning discoloration at the welds on the racks.got mine at costco. hope this helps
    bill

• Jeeves,
    the trash can lid doesn't have to be metal. any plastic one will work too. and you don't need just the lid! hahaa!
    how about getting the entire trash can assembly (lid and bottom) and then using it to store lump in when the lid is not busy cleaning grids? (or it can actually be used as a trash can *wink*).[p]regular dawn works too.[p]

• Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    Jeeves,
    What about sticking the grid in a platic bag and spraying it with oven cleaner an then wrapping it up for a while? Works well with cast iron never tried it with a grill grid though.

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    Its a lg Egg, the top is laminated 2ftx4ftx1in. that I bought at Home Depot, The top I cut out with a rotary grinder.
    Good Luck,
    Ross[p][p]

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Jeeves, I clean my oven parts using a large, heavy-duty plastic bag and ammonia. Put whatever you want to clean in the bag (taking care not to puncture it) pour in some ammonia (it's the gas that does the work) seal the bag and let it sit overnight. You should be able to finish the job the next day using a hose & a brush. Good luck![p]Rascal

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    bill,[p]Thank you for the info. I use those carts and I think I will get the full size and make two carts out of it (I have an extra set of wheels I can use).[p]My best, Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Ross,[p]Thank you for the follow up. I didn't want to have to formica a piece of wood for the top. I will go to Home Depot and see what I can find for the top.[p]Your cart looks great and I think it will be quicker and last longer than a wood cart.[p]My best, Kent