Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there a fat cap on my brisket?

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first brisket and I'm wondering if there is a fat cap on it. There is a side with a layer of fat, 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. I asked the butcher if there was a fat cap on it and he said there is enough to give it flavor, but he cuts off "the big chuck of fat that sits on the end"? Can anyone expand on this? I do have bacon and have read that you can layer them on top.
Thanks and I will post results.
Wardster

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Wardster, Yes, that 1/8 - 1/4" layer is the fat cap referred to here. That is a little thinner than you really want, but, unfortunately, the norm when getting a pre-trimmed brisket. I say rub it up good and put it on. Only add bacon off the top if there are actual 'bald spots' showing through the brisket as provided.
    Some folks will say 'never' open the dome during the cook if you don't have to, but with a brisket 'never' can be a long, long time. I say at the 8-9 hour mark, check things out, and if that fat cap has given all it has to give and surface is starting to look dry, you can add those bacon slices at that point and they will see you through to completion.
    That's just the approach I would take; your mileage may vary!
    Cheers and enjoy,
    Qfan

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Thanks. I may have dropped the ball already. There are some bare spots now. I supposed I will cover them with bacon before I throw it on the egg. I was following directions that called for 1 cup red wine vinegar. I must have missed the vinegar part and added just red wine. I put in the RW vinegar just in case. This is my first attempt so I figure a couple uh oh's are ok.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Wardster, Sure!! I'm certain many of the best new recipe/technique ideas are discovered this way! I've tried many different things with brisket, even marinating in A&W root beer (I'm sure I heard this recommended somewhere, but I can't remember the source, and yes, it does produce a good end result!). Once you have the basic knowledge of time/temp/target, start to experiment in the marinade/rubs/mops/smoke areas. These are where you will develop your own little 'signatures'!
    If you find that you like briskets and want to do them on occasion, then I offer this little hint: Whenever you go to a meat cutter or even commercial grocery store and there is a cutter on-site when you purchase the brisket; get them to toss in some sheets of beef fat. Even if the brisket you got is wearing a nice thick white coat of it! It freezes okay and you'll have some on-hand for those bald spots.
    Sounds like you've got things under control,[p]Qfan