Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big green egg smoker and grill

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi I'm interesting in buying a grill and I heard that the big green egg is worth buying because it's saves you a lot of money in charcoal, and easy to handle, but does any one know where can I buy one, has any one try one before, please if any one can give me a feedback!!!!!

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Diana,
    Click on the link below. At the top of the screen you will see a spot to type in your zip code and an option to select the dealers in your area. Try this out ;=)
    ~Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/[/ul]
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Diana,
    As far as advice goes check out this site... it has a funny name but you will learn alot about the Big Green Egg.
    ~Pharmeggist
    P.S. This site helped me in deciding to buy an egg a no brainer!

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com[/ul]
  • Pharmeggist,
    Thank yo for the quick respond, do you know any defects of the grill that I should be aware of!!!! just in case because it's a lot of money for a grill it is worth buying one those?, which
    size do you recommend me. ;) Thank You

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    And where might you be located?[p]How many do you cook for.[p]How often?[p]Do you presently have a grill or smoker?
    If so, what kind?[p]Spacey

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Diana,
    i saw my first egg many years ago but did not know enough about it and felt the cost was prohibitve. went thru the series of ever more expensive gas grills. when the last one died i wanted an egg but felt it would take too much time to heat up for daily use and at that price i would still need a gas one... i went to the pa egg fest 2 years ago and was lucky enough to meet Mr. Earl.. i watched him for the whole day had all my questions answered. if you like to cook get an egg. i recommend the large. you can do so much more than grill. in two years i have used my new oven [$4000] once. i cook outside on the grill all year and it gets cold here.. i suggest you lurk around this forum and especially look at the pictures of the food these people cook..amazing.. turns into an addiction after a bit. do not hesitate to post your questions the forum people are always ready to help and are a wealth of information.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Diana,[p]First, "it's saves you a lot of money in charcoal" is something of a myth. Lump charcoal is fairly inexpensive and is not an issue for most of us. What is at issue is the food you cook on this wondrous machine. [p]Think in these terms; you'll never buy another Egg because it rusted out. You may buy another Egg as company for your first Egg. Many of the Cult members have 2, 3, 4, 5 Eggs.[p]Next, you have NEVER seen a forum like this one. Ask a question about how to cook anything and half a dozen people will respond with half a dozen different, but mostly valid, ways to get your supper ready.[p]And, for the most part, the Big Green Egg is covered under a lifetime warranty. So that should be a plus for you to consider.[p]Last but not least, there are get together's all across this nation, from sea to shining sea, where you will meat forum names and learn at the feet of some of the most fun folks in the world. The "Fests", as they are called, may have as many as 300 - 400 and more to as small as a dozen or more people just hanging out eating and exchanging recipe's. [p]Take your time and hang out (lurk) here for a while just stay away from Egret and Chubby. ;>)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,172
    Options
    Methinks this Diana poster is a troll.......
    That's good advice about Chubby! Very good advice......

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Diana, the main defect is that after you start cooking on one, you become a BigEGGt. You start telling people how wonderful your BGE is and then you slowly find that all of your best friends are here on the forum. It's a sordid life, but delicious.[p]The biggest issue I know of is portability. If you're the type that just likes to throw your grill in the back of you truck (or car) you will find that you just can't do that with a medium, large or XL EGG. The other issue is that the EGG is ceramic and if you drop it from a foot or two onto hard concrete, it will break. Hence, you don't go moving it around a lot. Some people will tell you a drawback is that the firebox cracks. Most of us cook with a cracked firebox for years and then when we do replace it - it is included in the life time warranty. You only pay for shipping and if you can come by the BGE HQ shipping is $0. Or if you have a good dealer, he can get it included in his next shipment at no cost.[p]I guess the main drawback is that you will be accused of joining a cult.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    egret,
    Maybe not, we've been getting a lot of folks coming here to inquire lately. It's logical and silly. Obviously there are a lot of folks here that love their BGE so the anwers are kinda a given.[p]H

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Diana,
    don't know if it's a 'defect', but some folks have fused their gaskets together (melted), or had them come off during a high heat cook.[p]despite numerous theories , no one's really come up with a reason for why it happens, or exactly what conditions are required to bring it about (or avoid it).[p]the gasket is supposed to be sacrificial, and replaced at intervals. ideally, it'd last three/four/five years, but many folks (need to) replace them sooner. generally, the word on the street is to try to stay around 400 or so for the first 8-10 cooks. supposedly that helps 'set' the gasket. a number of people have replaced the felt gasket with something that is beefier, but which isn't 'authorized' by either BGE or the gasket maker. others just apply a new felt gasket, and a few don't replace it at all. it cushions the dome when shutting, and provides an airtight seal for controlling temps. [p]the food that you'll be able to cook far outweighs the 'gasket issue' IMHO.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Diana,
    I would recommend that you get a Large to start with. I am cooking for my wife and myself and 2 kids under two. My Mom and Dad have a Medium and they plan on buying a large in the next few months because they cook on it more than they ever expected and for more people than they planned. If you own one you will understand ;=)
    ~Pharmeggist
    P.S. I don't know of any defects mine has operated like a champ... besides it has a lifetime warranty go to a dealer for details. I haven't had to do any warranty work ;+) Hope this helps!!

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 42
    Options
    And then you hang around with people here, and start getting a hankering for exotic dishes like dry-aged steaks, pulled pork, tri-tips, brisket, smoked fish. It's a slippery slope.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    EdF,
    zackly.[p]younstart out being embarrassed to tell your neighbors you spent 700 bucks on a charcoal grill. then you tell them you spent 50 bucks on a pair of steaks. or the woman next door sees you in your bathrobe in january, tending ribs at the egg, while their frigging gasser freezes its gas off under a snow drift.[p]basically. if you have always been a misfit outsider, then just commit already and get the egg.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante