Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib, Blackened Blue Burgers, and Spanish Mackerel

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Been awhile since I've posted. I check in daily but seems like everyone is getting their questions answered so I usually don't have anything to add, quite a group of regulars. I have been egging and had a couple of good successes over the past couple of days that I thought I'd mention.[p]Tuesday night I did the family favorite Blackened Blue Burgers. Big Big patties covered liberally with blackening seasoning, cook them about 350 or so until they are done, about 25 minutes or so (like I said, big patties). The last few minutes of the cook I put a good couple hunks of blue cheese on each and cover it with some sharp cheddar. Let it melt and then eat them with whatever you want. Man these are good burgers.[p]Last night I did a 4 1/2 pound boneless rib roast, essentially a really thick ribeye, about 5 inches thick actually. I covered it with olive oil, put a steak rub on it and lots of fresh ground pepper and a bit of salt, then cooked it direct over about a 350 fire for 50 minutes. Don't know internal temp when I took it off, it just "felt" right as I turned it. Was probably on the medium side of medium rare. Tender, juicy, everything we were hoping for.[p]Tonight I'm serving up some spanish mackerel. My parents had my 4 year old son in FL for the past week and they came home yesterday. Well, yesterday morning they took a quick boat ride, just to secure everything while they are home for a month or so. While they were out they caught a pretty good batch of Spanish Mackerel and they brought some home for me to cook. Its been on ice since they caught it, should be pretty good. Plans are to cook it direct with a seafood rub and a little lemon juice.[p]Just my two pennies. Enjoying this indian summer weather all I can.[p]Troy

Comments

• sprinter,[p] How was the spanish mackerel? I have a bunch of skin on fillets I brought back from Hatteras and have been wondering what would be the best way to prepare them. I was thinking of an egg wash and a light coat of seafood breader then skin side down for a few minutes.[p]Jet[p]