Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

return to the rubbery chicken skin

Options
billt
billt Posts: 225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i followed the rubbery chicken skin thread as i never had that problem. followed the dutch oven thread [thanks, now i have to buy one]. sunday i cooked stew on the versagrate used fire brick to raise the egg grate and put a turkey breast on it for 2+ hours at 325. the turkey skin did not even brown except for the tip that was not sheilded by the soup pot and it was rubbery.. My conclusion is that too much liquid in the drip pan is leading to the horrible rubbery skin problem. chicken skin without that crispy salty wonderfulness is the stuff nightmares are made of

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    bill,
    this isn't that hard. . .crank your egg up to around 425 for the last 15 minutes or so and baste the skin with melted butter. .. it will be nice and crispy. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    also, if i read correctly you had that turkey breast in there with a drip pan AND a pot of stew?...both giving off steam throughout the cook. . .that probably also contributed to rubbery skin... .poultry is moist enough with out a pot of liquid giving off steam underneith it ...[p]i like to roast my chickens these days at around 400 - 425 degrees, regularly basting with melted butter ....the skin is good and crispy that way. ..i would do the same thing with a turkey breast ... .[p]my whole turkeys, well those i do the mad max way, but with them i'm not as worried about crispy skin. ..