Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catfish on the Egg?

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I love deep fried farm raised catfish w/Zatarain's Fish Breading Country Style. I was great when we were cruising our sailboat and easy to prepare. Problem is deep frying means a big does of fat! So we are looking for a way to prepare the same fish on our Egg with a good crispy seasoning and moist center. Do any of you have or know of a recipe for this?
Mike

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Man, you are passing me up... I went out to BBQ O yesterday and bought 6 bags of lump, spoke to the crew (Dave, Albert, Scott, and even Bob)..[p]Anway, I was going to 'pop in' for that Prime Rib - Congrats! I thought about getting some, but cooking for one, just ain't gonna work. I just need to 'buddy' up with you ;)[p]Talk yourself and your better half into going to the Eggtoberfest![p]You may have to get a cast iron and just deep fry as you normally would..[p]I'll keep on looking, but here is a previous thread:
    [ul][li]http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2005/messages/170795.htm[/ul]
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    Jeeves, No problem! Next time we do a Prime Rib, I promise an invitation. We can't make Eggtober Fest, but will definitly be at the Texas Eggfest next April and hope to be able to cook something good and learn from everyone else there. Hereggness is doing weight watchers, so we are looking for ways to enjoy our food without a lot of deep frying :-)
    Mike in Roind Rock

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]U mentioned sailboat - do you go to the lake at all? I don't have any friends with boats, but was going to heat out to a public park today and just float around for a bit...[p]There are a couple out by BBQ-O, so my next trip to BBQ-O will be followed up by going to a park out my them - there are three or so.[p]RE: weight-watching... I'm with ya - which is why I do trim off excess/as much as I can all the fat, even around brisket/tri-tips. When I was researching omega-3's etc for diet purposes, I found that GRAPESEED oil is one of the best (and most $)..[p]Click me:
    Cooking Oils That Are Good For You[p]If I remember correctly, catfish is not one of the healthiest fishes out there..???[p]Jeeves/5 miles southwest of EagerEgger

[ul][li]http://experienceaustin.com/water/Lake_Travis.html[/ul]
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    Jeeves, No longer have the boat, the wife and I did 6 or 7 thousand miles on it in 2001 and 2002. Gulf, East Coast, Chesapeake Bay, Bahamas and Caribbean. It was fin, but I think we got our fill. Thanks for the link on oils.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bkfs3.jpg
    <p />EagerEgger,
    Ever blacken?[p]Mike

• SkyRider
    Options
    Jeeves, Catfish is excellent for you, altho it doesn't have as much Omega 3 as the fattier fishes (Salmon, etc) but is one of the highest in protein...further, since its a freshwater fish, mercury is not a concern, etc...Good luck...It has a very mild flavor, hence can be cooked in many differing ways...

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Use Chef Prudhomme's blacking seasoning and the recipe on the package - basically give it a wash in melted butter and put on plenty of seasoning. I sometimes also sprinkle on some panko crumbs to get more of a crust. Then throw it on a very very very hot skillet in the Egg for a couple minutes each side. Catfish is great this way but can be real chewy if not cooked through.