Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, I made it through yesterday....

TomCPA
TomCPA Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many seemed to enjoy the pulled pork I prepared. Many people said the pork was fantastic. Some were down the middle. One or two said it was okay. A few asked if I cater parties (I told them if they wanted me to, I would think about it). So overall, it's what I expected.[p]One guy asked if I was from North Carolina. I said no, that I was originally from New York. He told me it was very good for someone who wasn't born in the South. He said it was close to the original he had to test it again to make sure. [p]One guy was made because he wanted brisket. I told him I would make him one.[p]I served over 40 people and I had one tray left over. So I now have a better gauge when I prepare for the next time, whenever that is.[p]My thanks to all who helped me through my first real cook where I cooked for more than five to ten people. [p]Tom

Comments

• TomCPA,[p]Way to go, Tom. That has to be pretty gratifying. I find it especially so, mainly because of the guest who put North Carolina BBQ up as the "gold standard". LOL
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    TomCPA,
    Great job Tom! I knew you could it. Did you end up thawing the butts or purchasing more?

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    TomCPA,[p]It sounds like things went very well....[p]When cooking for a crowd I always take into consideration
    "what" group I am cooking for. Most of the time I figure 16oz of meat per person.. I once cooked for a bunch of fireman...I doubled that. [p]One trick an old timer showed me was to cook more than one thing and have one of them easy...[p]I usually choose bologna. I buy a large loaf and slice it into 2" thick slice and to a quick smoke. This gives people a choice without breaking the bank. [p]I have a friend who makes his living catering BBQ parties. He takes brats and dogs along with whatever the main meat is. [p]All in all it sounds like you did great. [p]

• Big'un,[p]I bought new ones from BJ's Wholesale Club. I just defrosted one I had in the freezer and it took two days. In the end, it was the right move to buy new ones.[p]I now have 70+ lbs of Boston Butts. The wife wants me to sell them, but I want to keep them to experiment with different woods and rubs.[p]Tom
  • Big'un
    TomCPA,
    If she has eaten your cooking, surely she would want to keep em for your experimentation. Just don't let her or you get burned out(pun intended) on pulled pork sandwiches. There are a lot of things you can do with pulled pork other than sandwiches...chili,tacos, nachos, ABTs, soups, etc...
    Besides I'm not sure if there are any rules on selling second hand meat, so now you have to keep it so that you don't end up in jail!LOL.

• Big'un,[p]I never thought about the issue of selling the second hand meat. And I appreciate the very good suggestions on what to do with the pulled pork. It's always great to get other ideas.[p]A bit off-topic but something that happened last night and thought it was a bit silly. My daughter is 6 and was looking for me. The kitchen for the hall is right off the bar (it's a Knights of Columbus hall with separate members bar on one side and a catering hall on the other). She sits at a bar stool looking for me and sees me and calls for me. The bartender for the night tells me to get her away from the bar because if the liquor inspector shows up, they would be closed down because of a minor sitting at the bar. My daughter's drink of choice last night: a Shirley Temple. [p]If this is truly a law or ordinance, I think we are really getting carried away in this country. I remember as a 7-year old kid sitting at the bar at my grandparent's favorite Irish watering hole in NYC and there wasn't a problem. If our government officials have nothing better to do with their time, I can make a few suggestions. It's ridiculous. [p]The next sound you hear is me putting my soapbox away. [p]Tom
  • Big'un
    TomCPA,
    I'm sure that liquor law is in place. Unfortunately, most parents don't spend time with their kids like you do and expect other folks to raise them...hence all the other laws that protect "us" from ourselves. I'd guess that most come from the law suits that are put before the courts. My feeling is that if you don't know to not put your hand in the blender, then eventually, natural selection will take its course.
    I hope the bartender was at least kind enough to give her a couple extra cherries in her drink!
    BTW, you know I was only joking about selling the meat second hand, although.....

• Big'un,[p]Oops. Sorry, I am still winding down from last night. I should have seen that coming...[p]At first the bartender was a bit of a jerk because he was gruff with her and it scared her, but he apologized later and I am fine with that.[p]I did check the laws here in Maryland (new state motto: "If you were living here, you would be poor by now"), I don't see anything about this issue, but it just drives me bonkers that my wife and I are within several feet of her and considering I made all the Shirley Temples, it wasn't an issue.[p]I just think our officials could worry about important stuff.[p]Tom
  • Big'un
    TomCPA,
    I agree. Have a cold one. Are you attending Eggfest?

• Big'un,[p]I would love to but I am in the middle of soccer season. I coach my daughter's team and I referee for traveling and high school teams. This time of year is hectic.[p]However, I do plan on putting the Waldorf Eggfest on my calendar for next year since I am about 45 minutes from there and that time of year is less hectic.[p]Tom[p][p]