Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

very average bone in chicken breasts

Options
eddy-turn
eddy-turn Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just about everything i've cookded on my BGE has been great.[p]With that said, yesterday for the first time, i was disappointed with the results.[p]Cooked bone-in chicken breasts with rosemary under the skin at about 325 until internal temp was about 162 on the largest piece. Bottom line was that the chicken was dry for my taste and very average at best[p]I had apple wood chips in and a mature fire (about 1 hour old).[p]What could i have done differently?[p]Ideas welcome.[p]Thanks,[p]eddy-turn

Comments

• Essex County
    Options
    eddy-turn,
    Temps sound reasonable as does setup. I assume it was direct. One guess is it's not you, it's the chicken. The only other suggestions: Go indirect, it's more forgiving, especially for a low fat meat like a chicken breast. Try brining the breasts next time. That helps them to hold moisture. [p]I have to admit, I still have a "just OK" chicken cook once in a while. I cook a lot more thighs now and they come out great every time.[p]Paul

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    eddy-turn,[p]Brining is a big help with poultry white meat. Also, rub a bit of oil on them. That will help slow evaporation, as well as extract more herb or spice flavors.[p]Isn't it terrible? With the B.G.E., "just o.k." is such a let down.[p]gdenby

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    eddy-turn,[p]I do bone-in breasts a fair amount. Brine for about 1 or 2 hours then cook on a raised grid with a drip pan underneath for about 1 hour, no flipping until 165 or so internal. I use David Klose's poultry rub. Best I've had.[p]Win[p]
    [ul][li]Klose Pits Page[/ul]
  • eddy-turn,[p]There is such a difference among chicken meat sources.[p]We now buy all our chicken in bulk from Amish farms. There are "true" free-range chickens that are slaughtered and brought to market in the same day... then off to our freezers.[p]We breakdown the birds as we use them, one-by-one.[p]Grocery store chicken is often tasteless mush...[p]~ Broc[p]
  • SyraQ
    SyraQ Posts: 95
    Options
    eddy-turn,[p]I did some bone-in breasts about a month ago with just some rub and olive oil on and under the skin. They were just OK. Just last week, I marinated some for four hours in a great bottled marinade I've been using called Lemon Garlicious, then put the rub and olive oil on. They were a hundred times better than the earlier ones. My son, who is short on compliments, even commented on their tastiness. So brining or marinating, something's got to be done with them, I guess.

• eddy-turn
    Options
    amini1,[p]Thanks for the note. An hour would seem a bit much at 325. What temp do you use?[p]eddy-turn

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    eddy-turn,[p]About 400 degrees. I didn't realize I hadn't put that in my post. Whoops.