Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky Question

Options
Idahoegger
Idahoegger Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to attempt to make some beef jerky on BGE. Never had made any before. So which cut of beef makes the best? How thick? and would appreciate a good recipe. What temp works best for this in the BGE?
Thanks

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />pitmeister,[p]I just did 2 eggs worth of jerky last weekend, one venison and one beef. Jerky is great on the BGE so make a lot. The link is to a good recipe that you can tweek as you like (I add some teriyaki and whatever else i feel at the time). The meat i use is top round. My butcher has what they call "de-nuded" top round that works great, no waste at all. Marinate for a few days if possible. I sprinkle some chipotle on before it drys for an added kick. I probably cut mine 1/8 to 3/16" think. As far as temp almost as low as you can get (i do about 170) you are trying to dry it not cook it. Hickory or Jack daniels smoke it what I use. [p]Good luck with it.[p]Chuck

[ul][li]Jerky[/ul]
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    pitmeister, Jerky on the egg is awesome. Have fun! Scott

[ul][li]Joiky smokin'[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    pitmeister, use a flank or round steak and slice about 1/8" thick across the grain.