Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket results

Options
Mikey
Mikey Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I took NB's advice and kept my temp at about 250, but I decided to go with pecan instead of hickory for smoke. I slipped up and didn't take an internal temp reading until about 12 hours had passed. (oops) The probe read 212, yikes! I pulled it off and let it rest for a half hour or so on the cutting board.[p]I started slicing it and it was ok and first, but the further I got, the more tender it became. It got really hard to make slices becuase it kept falling apart. Man was it tender. As I cut, I realized that the probe had gone into a fatty layer and I hadn't actually gotten a reading on the meat, just the fat, so I'm not realy sure what the temp of the meat was at when I pulled it off the cooker. It might have been a little dry towards the one end, but just barely.[p]My family thought it was good and so did I. The biggest compliment came from my Texan co-worker who said it was some fine brisket. Being from Memphis, pork is my preffernce, so I was a little leary of doing a beef brisket. Anyway, I had a good eperience and will definetly be doing this again. I really liked having just the flat, I think that made it a lot easier to cook.[p]Thanks again NB,
Mikey

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mikey,
    Awww Man am I glad that worked out for you. Yeah, as you found out, ya gotta keep an eyeball peeled on that temp. Every one of those dang chunk-o-chests seem to cook up different. Some of 'em got minds of their own![p]Congrats on the success. You are the one who cooked it!
    Cheers and beers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ