Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers

The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What would y'all recommend in terms of time/temp to grill some plain ol' burgers? You know, plain ol' patties of ground beef, about 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound each? Thanks, TNW
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• The Naked Whiz,
    Mix the meat with some montreal steak seasoning and grill like a steak 3/3/8 with the longer dwell to cook through.

• Palisin,
    Interesting thought. How much M.S. seasoning would you add to, say, a pound of hamburger?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    I do them at 500-550. Usually about 1/3 to 1/2 pounders. I cook em till an internal of 145*. With the big ones it's about 5 mins. a side. Put an indentation in the middle before putting em on the egg and they won't swell up in the middle when cooked. They'll come of the egg the same thickness all over.
    B D

• The Naked Whiz,
    I use about a tablespoon/pound.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    The Naked Whiz,[p]If ya have a hankerin to spice them things up a bit, give this a shot. Make the patties and sprinkle each side with some blackening seasoning. Paul Prudholm makes a pretty good one. Grill like you would a normal burger, I do mine about 350 or so until they are done, usually about 15 minutes for 1/3 to 1/2 pounders. When they are just about done, put some plain old 'merican cheese on them, melt it 50%, then put a big old hunk of blue cheese on them and let it melt a bit. Serve it on a bun with some red onion and lettuce and the rest of the fixins and you're in for some good eats. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • The rest of the family here likes things on the well done side, and with commercial ground beef I tend to want to do a thorough cook myself.[p]What works for me is [p]Fairly thin burgers ( 1/2" or so ) Start with a hot egg ( > 550 ). 1.5 minutes, flip, 1.5 minutes add cheese, dwell.
    I test temperature after 3 minutes of dwell, and repeat if necessary.[p]This will do well done burgers without drying them out.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    The Naked Whiz,
    If you are basing your final decision on a concensus vote, I'm with Palisin on this one; Montreal Steak Spice at about a ratio of 1 tablespoon/lb of meat. Also a bit of garlic powder doesn't hurt either. I like to grill the buns for 30-45 seconds as well.
    Qfan