Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Pizza Cook

Mary
Mary Posts: 190
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My kids and grandkids are coming for pizza tonight. I have the dough for crust ready -- after a slight hitch. My bread machine has konked out on me and I had to resort to the old dough hooks and waiting for the dough to raise. I hope it is not what ruins my pizza!![p]I need advice on putting on the toppings. How many is TOO many? any particular order? How far from the edge should I keep the dough? [p]How far in advance should I fire up my large BGE? [p]I will need to have 5-6 pizzas so what should I know in order to have them all cook ok?[p]This my first try -- advice is certainly needed!

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    70f6c737.jpg
    <p />Mary,
    We need more info. Do you have a pizza peel or are using pizza pans? I do mine at 500/550 for about 10/12 minutes. I'm a triditionalist so peperoni, mushrooms, sausage, and green peppers on a pizza sauce with mozarella. Good luck, Tom

• Mary
    Bajatom,
    I don't have a peel yet. What should I do? I do have pans.

• Mary
    Bajatom,
    BTW, your pizza looks wonderful. I looked for a peel yesterday but my shopping options did not extend to something like that. I will pick one up when I am in Lexington.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Mary,
    Just use the pans. Your pizza may not be as crispy when cooking directly on your stone. The pizza will be great. I would recomend not using too much sauce. If you made pizza in your oven with the pans then the egg works a lot like your oven. When you put your first pizza on check after 5/7 minutes because you made need to rotate the pizza. Check every few minutes after about 8 minutes for doness. Good luck, Tom

• Mary
    Bajatom,
    I don't have a peel but I do have a pizza stone. Isn't the peel the tool for putting on and taking off?? I purchased the stone with the BGE. [p]I am anxious for them to be good. We have had so much good luck with our egg -- I don't want to disappoint the kids!!

• Mary,
    You won't be dissapointed. Lots of people use pans. I use the peel to transport and put the pizza directly on my baking stone. I use corn meal under the pizza on the peel so the pizza will slide off the peel on to the stone. Your pizza will be great. Post again seeking some additional advice. A pan user will respond. Good luck, Tom

• Mary,
    I don't have a peel either so I use an old cookie sheet that doesn't have sides. I also use parchment paper instead of the cornmeal, makes it easy to turn pizza around if needed. My daughter worked at a pizza joint so she taught me the right way to build pizzas. Sauce first, then cheese then toppings. We try not to overdo the toppings. Then add last layer of cheese. Time will be determined by how thick your crust is, Temp and how many toppings. Just keep an eye on them and post pics after. We love pics. Cheryl

• Mary,
    if you have parchment paper, this is great for getting the pizza onto the stone. just slide the paper/pizza on stone and after a few minutes of cooking, pull the paper out from underneath the pizza. eliminates sticking and cornmeal. [p]I cook my pizzas at 500 and i heat up the platesetter and stone all ahead of time.

• Mary
    Eggin in Peoria,
    THANKS!! I didn't read this until after the fact. I used a flat baking sheet and cornmeal. The pies slid off very nicely and turned out wonderfully!!! I did bake at 500-550 (after discovering that 450 just wasn't quite enough for the results we wanted).[p]I have a picture I will post as soon as I can upload it.[p]Thanks for your help!