Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice, QUICK!

Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have two butts on for 20 hours, now. They are at 181 and 185F. Problem is, I have to leave in about 10 minmutes for about 4 hours![p]I have a guru running the show, but I'm afraid they will "come of age at 190 long before I get back. Prepared to pull into heavy foil, towels and ice chest before I go... but I am worried that won't be "fall off the bone" pulling pork.[p]WWYD?!!![p]Tony

Comments

• spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    Tony,[p]Do what you just said and you should be just fine, I had some areas of my butt that were only 180-185 and things turned out just fine. You got past the important stage of the cook.[p]Leave it wrapped up for at least an hour. I've read others doing the same thing and have done the same thing myself,...all turned out well for me.[p]STL Scott
  • Tony,
    the pork is done at 185...pull and let rest for 3 hours

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Tony,
    some pull at 185, some at 205.[p]pull now and wrap and you'll be fine.[p]or set the egg for 200 and let her cruise and take your chances you'll be at 200 internal when you get back[p]hard to screw up

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Tony,
    Double wrap them in foil and get them in a cooler, they'll be ready to pull when you get back. -RP

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Tony,
    This is a little late. Guru has a ramp mode just for that reason. I never used ramp yet. Has anyone used the ramp mode and let it hold for a few hours?

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Well, I had to leave before any of these great replies arrived. in the absence, I opted to go with Stike's second suggestion... lower the egg temp and let it ride. They were already wrapped in foil. Got home a few minutes ago; everything was sitting at 200F. Pulled'em off, cracked the foil and checked them, they are fine. Stike was right - hard to screw up. These made 24 hours... and guess what - about 1/3 to 1/2 of the lump is still there! Amazing thing, this Egg...[p]Thanks, all of you.[p]TD