Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt--Which lump to use?

Carbonizer
Carbonizer Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Putting a 6 lb. butt on tomorrow morning early. Have several choices of lump and smoking woods.
Which should I use, or should I blend?
Have on hand--Wicked Good Comp- Royal Oak (USA)-Lazzari mesquite and B & B mesquite.
Wood on hand is hickory,apple,cherry,alder,maple,jack daniels chips,citrus and mesquite.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Carbonizer,
    Wicked good will burn much longer than RO, dont know about B&B. I prefer fruit wood. Apple and cherry is what I use, several chunks mixed with lump. My 2 cents worth.

• smokinsop,[p]I've never had the chance to use Wicked Good and have Royal Oak USA which works great for me.[p]I really love a 50/50 blend of Hickory & Apple with pork.
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Legally Blind Egghead,
    Scored 50 bags of WG comp blend when they quit making it. Only use it for butts,brisket etc. Still got 22 bags in garage

• smokinsop,
    I've got a small "stash" of WGE too. Been saving for longs but this is only 12 hr. or so cook. Mostly wondering about taste.

• Carbonizer,[p]I got a shoulder and a brisket going on tonight at midnight. I'm using my own lump plus some Royal Oak and peach for flavoring. The lump I made is from pecan.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Carbonizer,[p]I have tried WG and find it too neutral for my personal tastes when barbecuing. Especially when it comes to pork. In other words it does not contribute any flavor on it's own. I loved the consistency, the low ash and long burn times. I can see why a lot of bakers hoard that stuff. And I'm sure it's an excellent choice for restaurants that grill food and want to preserve the marinade or rub flavors on different entrees.[p]Lazzari (or a mix wi RO) is my choice for long cooks, because it produces one of the strongest, secondary flavors of any lump I have used. [p]Hickory is a traditional wood for pork, but I have a hard time controlling is by itself. If I don't watch it close, I can get a bitter flavor in the bark. Mixing in some cherry mellows it. Most often I find myself using either all cherry or a cherry/apple/guava mix. Pork and fruitwoods are a good match in my neighborhood. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery