Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Southern Vermont

WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Folks,[p]Looks like WooKitties and I will be spending about a week in the Grafton, Vermont area at a cabin deep in the woods.
This will be a working-vacation for WooKitties and in the meantime I will probably be content to hike, kayak, cook, catch up on some reading and occasionally venture into town.
But on the slim chance that I get a bit squirrely, does anyone have any suggestions for sights or other things to do in that area?.... probably no more than an hour or two drive in any direction.[p]I'd appreciate any thoughts.... I'll be checking back on the forum this evening for responses. Thanks![p]john

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    WooDoggies,
    A quick Google search turned up an interesting article from the NY Times about the place. Looks to me like you can easily enjoy yourself staying around town.[p]http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9F00E4DF1F30F937A15752C0A9659C8B63[p]Sounds like a wonderful place to kick back a few days. Maybe someone there has an Egg...[p]Spring "One More Place To See In This Life" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• WooDoggies,
    be very careful john, i think the stumpbaby lurks in that region!!! . . .make sure you keep a close eye on the wookitty!! ..[p]sounds like a great trip though. .have fun. . .

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    WooDoggies,
    No thoughts, but that sure sounds good![p]Have fun.[p]Mike

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    WooDoggies,
    thats pretty close to the battenkill river, if you havent tried fly fishing, theres an orvis shop nearby that should be able to set you up for about 3500 dollars. supposed to be the hardest river to fish in the us. i would go get some cheese and sit on the river bank eating it while watching those guys that orvis set up get skunked. i was in orvis boston one day and watched a guy with 2 kids get set up with 2000 dollar each bamboo fly rods plus all the other paraphernalia, guy must of spent 10000 dolars plus getting equipment for himself and his 2 boys and i dont think he ever even stood on a stream before or had ever fished

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    WooDoggies, take a trip up to Ludlow (25-30 miles north) and have dinner or lunch at the Pot Belly Pub & Restaurant. Ask for Rich or Barb.[p]On the off chance that you mention my name you may get some good service or you may be thrown out! LOL.. j/k It used to be one of my 'haunts' back when ;)[p]Great scenery from Okemo Mtn, too :)

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    WooDoggies,[p]Albany NY is less than an hour. Some really cool Architecture there. I always liked taking the tour of the Capital Building.[p]I think Lake George is with-in your limits. There is Cabot Farms and Ben and Jerry's Bennington Battlegrounds and Saratoga Battlegrounds. Albany has a huge Natural History Museum [p]I am sure I can think of more :)

• Whitetail
    Whitetail Posts: 76
    fishlessman,
    See that’s where the hunting outfits have it all over the fishing guides. They’ll hit you up for way more money. They set you up like your going to spend the next month in the bush. Then they ride you out to a blind, turn on the feeders, graze the deer, and you shoot the target of your choice. Then you can tell all your friends about what a great hunter you are. Like I said more money, but you won’t get skunked.[p]Lord help me if I ever consider that to be hunting. [p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Whitetail,
    they get you even better than that, that 3500 dollars gets you an outfit to catch 8 inch brookies, now if you want to catch a brown trout we can set you up with this other outfit. then you can take casting lessons with orvis that will limit a rod that can cast 130 feet plus with methods that are designed to cast a line not more than 45 feet, then you spend a thousand more hours practicing these casting methods and come to the conclusion you need to buy an even more expensive rod, all with the fact that its rare in newengland to need to cast more than 20 feet to catch a trout. these fisherman call themselves purists. ive got some very highend stuff, none of its orvis, that stuff is for the high end doctors and lawyers to buy, most of its not good for fishing. something i learned a long time ago about the high priced equipment and catching is that its not the arrow, its the indian

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    WooDoggies,
    When is your trip? Harpoon is next weekend, there will be alot more Eggs than the last time you were there.
    Other than that I can't think of anything specific, but I know it's a cool place to get lost in. Just take a ride and see what's out there.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• WooDoggies
    Spring Chicken,[p]Thanks for the article, Leroy. Grafton looks like a pretty place to laze the days away.... I passed the article onto WooKitties and she says, "Thank You!" [p]john

• WooDoggies
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That's a very good point, max. I have Paul's phone number around here somewheres and will have to give him a call.
    The cabin we'll be staying in even has an outhouse... or "guest house" in Stumpy's vernacular. Heeee!

• WooDoggies
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Thanks, Mike. We've been working some long hours lately and this is going to be all about relaxation in beautiful place.... with a little hedonism thrown in for good measure. :~)

• WooDoggies
    fishlessman,[p]Good thing I fish like I golf.... I'm the one who'll bait your hook, hand you a driver, crack your beer, drive the cart and listen to your stories.... too expensive a hobby to take up but hanging out and watching is free and, in my opinion, a whole lot more fun.... thanks for the heads up. :~)

• WooDoggies
    Rumrunner,[p]Thanks Steve! I've put the Pot Belly Pub on the list of places to visit during a day of driving the back roads.... just googled Okemo Mtn and it looks like a pretty place to visit as well.[p]Any particular regional fare you might recommend at the pub?... or elsewhere?[p][p]
  • WooDoggies
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Great ideas, Pete! and added to the list. All of your suggestions are the stuff we like to see and do on vacation... which is pretty much experiencing local food, culture and history. Cheers!

• WooDoggies
    Citizen Q,[p]If we can get to Harpoon, it would be around noon on Sunday at the earliest. Are you going to be doing the Sunday grilling category?
    Either way it would great to finally meet you.... by the way, did you know (if my suffering memory cells recollect correctly) that you were the first to respond to my first post on this forum in late 2001? That's got to count for something.... heeee![p]Best of Luck at Harpoon!

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    WooDoggies,
    I did not know that, I coulda sworn you was around before I got here. We are definitely grilling on Sunday, come on by. The new team name is Que Ball and we should be down back on the far left, just look for the team with the smallest trophy table. Keep an eye out for Yabba Dabba Que, a rookie Egg team doing phenomenal in New England this year.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• Rumrunner
    WooDoggies, the Crowley Cheese Factory, one of the oldest in the US, is a couple miles north of Ludlow on Rt. 103. If you like cheddar cheese, you might want to check this out.[p]Have fun!

• WooDoggies
    Citizen Q,[p]Thank you for the invitation, Sean. If I can make it, I will be there to shake your hand, eat your food and drink your beer.
    I tried to find a list of teams on the Harpoon website with no luck... if you know of one will you please pass it along?[p]Cheers Back![p]john

• WooDoggies
    Rumrunner,[p]The Crowley Cheese Factory is now in the ever expanding vacation file.... and visiting a cheddar cheese factory would be a first for us. Thanks again for the help. [p]I hope all is well with you down Florida way!
  • Rumrunner
    WooDoggies, finer than frog hair down here :)[p]When are you headed to VT?

• WooDoggies
    Rumrunner,[p]Looks like we're leaving sometime next Saturday. Should take about 7 hours. If we get in early enough, we'll be having dinner in town at the Old Tavern.[p]Hey, are you coming up to New Holland in August to cook with Desi and crew? That comp is a well-run blast and I'll make sure I have ice cold PBR's just for you.

• WooDoggies, [p]Back 40 BBQ
    Bare Bones BBQ
    Big Boned BBQ
    Black Diamond Barbeque
    Que-Ball
    Burnt Offerings BBQ Co.
    Central Pork West
    Dr. Frank'n'swine
    Faux Pas BBQ
    Feeding Friendz
    Firefly's
    Firetown Smokers
    Flaming Hog BBQ
    Giggling Pigs BBQ Co.
    Howling Hog Barbecue
    I Smell Smoke !!!
    iQue
    Lost Nation Smoke Company
    Lunchmeat
    Porkaholics
    Qwannabee's
    Regal BBQ
    Smokin Dog BBQ
    Smoking Fools BBQ - A Vermont BBQ Company
    Sunset Grille & Tap Room
    The Bastey Boys
    The BBQ Guru Cooking Team
    The Purple Turtle Catering Company
    Transformer Barbecue
    Twin State Smoke Co.
    Uncle Jed's BBQ
    Yankee BBQ Boys
    The Slabs.com
    Bad Bones BBQ Crew
    Q Haven
    Yabba Dabba Que
    Champlain Pit Crew
    Brothers Whole Hog BBQ
    Cancersuckschicago.com
    Two Fat Polocks

• Rumrunner
    WooDoggies,[p]The Old Tavern is a great place :)[p]Thanks for the PBR's, but alas, I won't be in New Holland that weekend. My grand daughter will be down here visiting.
  • WooDoggies
    C~Q,[p]Thanks! Hope to see you in a week.[p]john

• WooDoggies
    Rumrunner,[p]Dang!..... Someday, Rum, someday..... [p]You have it right, tho, family always comes first... even before bbq. [p]Happy Weekend to you![p]
  • We were just in Vermont, based in East Thetford.[p]The Vermont Country Store in Weston is kind of cool. Lots of stuff you didn't know they still made.[p]Cabot Creamery factory tour is neat, and if you like REALLY good, sharp aged cheddar, check out Sugarbush Farms in the Quechee area. Look for the 84 month old stuff. We have 8 lbs of it in the RV fridge right now. They also do a nice horseradish cheddar.[p]If you're into machine tools, there's the American Precision Museum (americanprecision.org) in Windsor. As the daughter of a toolmaker I thought it was really need to see the first Bridgeport every made (and wished Dad was alive so he could visit the museum).[p]Enjoy![p]Michelle