Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fried green tomatoes

wobin
wobin Posts: 211
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have an old family favorite recipe? I've got tons of them and would like to try them.[p]thanks and cheers, Glenn

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    wobin,[p]This should help.[p]Tomatoes, Green, Fried

Richard, Here is my secret method. People on Delmarva have told me how good this is.When I tell them how I make them they look at me in a funny way till they taste them.
    [p]INGREDIENTS:
    2 eggs beaten
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
    2 cups flour
    1 bottle beer

Preparation:
    1 Mix it up till it feels like a waffle or pancake batter.
    2 Put the tomatoe slice on top of the batter for a second and turn over and coat the other side.
    3 Lift out and let excess drain off and then into the frying pan.I will convert you from the way you have done them in the past.ENJOY!!!

Recipe Type
    Side Dish, Vegetarian

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Darnoc,7/05/07[p]Fried tomatoes or perhaps any other veg in a batter mix[p]

[p]
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    wobin,[p]If you have tons then you might want to consider canning some green tomato, cabbage and vadalia onion relish. Goes great with those New Years Day black eyed peas. That's what I do with mine.

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    BYC,
    Thanks but this dude isn't into canning, just grilling, frying, fishin and chillin.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    wobin,
    We have had these many times and they are good.
    Larry[p]

Fried Green Tomatoes
    The Blue Willow Inn's fried green tomatoes have played a big role in making the restaurant famous, and it's only right that this recipe should be the first on our list!
    In 1992, famed columnist Lewis Grizzard wrote an article about our restaurant which appeared in approximately 280 papers nationwide. This one event took the Blue Willow Inn from a struggling new establishment to a successful restaurant in one weekend.[p]3 green tomatoes
    2 cups vegetable oil
    1 ½ cups self-rising flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 ½ cups buttermilk
    2 eggs[p] Wash and slice the tomatoes into approximately 1/4-inch slices.
    Mix the buttermilk and eggs in a mixing bowl, adding one-half of the salt and pepper, and one tablespoon of flour. Mix well.
    Place the tomato slices in the buttermilk/egg mix.
    Preheat the oil to 350 degrees in a heavy skillet or electric fryer.
    Mix the remaining flour, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
    Toss the tomato slices into the flour. Place in the oil and fry until golden brown, turning two or three times.
    Cook until crisp and drain on paper towels.
    Serve immediately.[p]Billie and Louis Van Dyke
    Blue Willow Inn
    Social Circle, Georgia

• AZ Traveler
    AZ Traveler Posts: 664
    BYC,
    For the grill I would slice them about 1/2" think, let dry on paper towels, then dredge in flow and put on the grill. I love green tomatoes. Enjoy, AZ

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    wobin,[p]Silly rabbit--canning is ALL about chillin'. Time to expand your horizons and your food court knowledge. Canning is a lost art that can be vital in times of extreme food needs and survival.