Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a mini

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg and I'm very happy with it. I have been thinking of buyin a mini just to do steaks. It seems a waste to fire up the Large egg for such a small portion. I wouldn't sell the large simple because of parties and such. Does anyone have suggestions?[p]Thanks in advance.[p]T

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Tom Cronin,[p]Had that decision to make a while back and opted for a small. Very happy that I did.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_00321.jpg
    <p />Tom Cronin,
    for only $150 more you can move up to a small which is far more versatile than a mini plus has more eggcerrories available to further enhance it. The large & small combo can't be beat!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    Tom Cronin,
    Ditto on the small.

• Tom Cronin,[p]I have had a mini for a few months now, and it is a great grilling machine! I had super burgers tonight for dinner.
    I have purchased a second grid and fire ring to do a raised grid cook. A clay pot saucer makes a good barrier for indirect cooks.
    The size is very limited and it depends on your needs.
    Take a 9" cake pan and that is the grill size. Two ribeyes will fill the grate...and that is all I need!
    I like it also because I will be able to take it on vacation next week.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Tom Cronin,[p]Get the Small instead...hands down!!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Tom Cronin,
    I have a large and small. Since there are only two of us at home these days (the yung'uns have flown the coop) the small is called into duty more often. If you need help with a purchase decision, I have to support the others in suggesting a small. [p]That being said, I am saving up my spare change to buy a mini for use at the beach and tailgating at Wolfpack football games![p]Doc

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Tom Cronin:[p]We have a mini (plus two larges) and love the mini, however, we won the mini in a raffle. If I were buying though I would get the small -- much more versatile. We have taken the mini along on a couple of vacations so we wouldn't suffer from egg withdrawl.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    RRP, nice cart and moonrock collection.[p]
    Aloha,[p]greg

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Tom Cronin,
    I would suggest getting the small if you are married man like me... it would be a smart thing :=) My wife rolled her eyes now that I have the Large small Combo, and asked for a mini for my birthday. Now I am re-thinking to see if I should save up for a medium BGE instead. Good luck... I am finding out my bigger cooks outnumber my small ones.
    ~Pharmeggist

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Tom Cronin,
    get a small for steaks and smaller cooks.

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Tom Cronin,
    I mainly use the sm/lg combo like many here. Mini gets fired only for those times with guests and simply cool to have 3 going.
    Mostly a novelty item for me.
    ST