Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to make the plunge

ColdEspresso
ColdEspresso Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting a large BGE shortly and was wondering what I should cook on it to properly season it. My wife was saying chickens are probably best. I want to avoid steaks due to the high temp and brisket because of the long cook. Any ideas!!!! [p]Mario
ColdEspresso

Comments

• ColdEspresso,
    Chicken is alright but me personally would do burgers. Not the real lean stuff either. 80/20 Mix in some fresh cut jalapenos if you like and coat with your favorite seasoning. Don't do them too hot because fresh gaskits like to melt.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    ColdEspresso,
    I would recommend a pork tenderloin. Just use your favorite rub after applying EVOO first. It will take about an hour and pull at internal temp around 165. Wrap in foil after cooking let stand for about 20-15 minutes.[p]Cook at 350 dome temp. [p]~Pharmeggist
    P.S. I would also recommend calibrating the thermometer it is on page 30 on the old BGE book. Read the naked whiz website before you get your egg and you should be fine.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com[/ul]
  • ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    ColdEspresso,
    I would recommend a spatchcock chicken. Really easy. Looks really good. Tastes great!!!

• Pharmeggist,[p]I love pork tenderloin...I have been lurking here and have been to the naked whiz site and others. There is a ton of info out there... How many cooks should I do before the egg is considered "seasoned"?[p]Thanks[p]Mario
    ColdEspresso

• ColdEspresso,
    Something fairly simple is a good way to start. Burgers and wings make a nice combo. There is a bit of a learning curve coming from non ceramic cooking, but you will soon find yourself wanting to use the egg almost exclusively!

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning ColdEspresso:[p]The Egg doesn't require "seasoning". The first cook will be the same as all of the many thereafter.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SyraQ
    SyraQ Posts: 95
    Pharmeggist,[p]An hour seems way too long for a pork tenderloin. Most weigh a pound or less. Also, pork can be considered done at a lower temp. I pull pork tenderloin at about 140-145. Let it rest 5 minutes or so before slicing. I also don't wrap it in foil. It's a very tender piece of meat, as the name implies. It can be slightly pink when served, also. I've had pork tenderloins done in 20 minutes Just my $.02.
  • Pharmeggist
    SyraQ,
    Click on the link below. The recommendation for pork tenderloin internal temp is between 150-165. I guess it depends on your doneness preference. I usually cook two of them at a time with indirect set-up. Just my 2 cents worth of advice.
    ~Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://southernfood.about.com/cs/porktenderloin/a/pork_tenderloin.htm[/ul]
  • Pharmeggist
    ColdEspresso,
    As for myself I did probably 5 or so cooks and an overnighter Boston Butt before I did my first high temp cook. I have up till this date had no problems with my Gasket. [p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• SSN686, IMHO I think they are referring to temperature seasoning, rather than the kind of seasoninbg that you might use to break in a cast iron pan, etc. 8 - )[p]Rascal
  • Brunomax,
    I know the egg itself does not need to be seasoned, I think what the other posts are referring to is the gasket. It does need to be handled gently for the first half dozen cooks or so. Good luck with your new egg. Bucky

• SpokaneMan
    SpokaneMan Posts: 77
    Pharmeggist,[p]I'm wondering about this "old" book vs "new". I have had a large for a while and recently bought a small. They both came with the same spiral bound book. I called the BGE store in Atlanta and they told me there is only one book. What's the deal?
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    SpokaneMan,[p]I bought a large 4/27/07 and received a thin book (with a few recipes in it) with my egg. My dealer had a larger spiral bound book next to his display, so I was a little disappointed to not have received that bigger book. (The bigger book seemed to have more recipes in it.) The next time I was in, I told him they don't include the spiral bound book anymore and he gave me the one from his display. [p]Can't say enough nice things about my dealer. He gives you a discount on any accesories, lump, etc. I got a 20lb bag of BGE lump today for 15.00...[p]HTH...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• SyraQ
    SyraQ Posts: 95
    Pharmeggist,[p]Well, that didn't really convince me. Thanks, anyways. I also hate links that won't let you use your back arrow again. What are they trying to do exactly? I guess I am just philosophically against cooking tiny amounts of lean meats for incredibly long periods of time. I'm sure your tenderloin still had some juiciness to it, that's the Egg. If you cook indirect, it can definitely go longer. But with a lean piece of meat, there is not need to cook indirect and then wrap in foil. Done is done.
  • Pharmeggist
    SpokaneMan,
    The new book isn't sold with the eggs it is sold seperately. The title is 'Big GREEN EGG "Cookbook for "Eggheads" it is spiral bound copyright 2003... No green warranty card inside naturally.
    Hope this answers your question. I don't know why they don't include this book with new eggs. The two books that came with my Large and small were Copyright 1999 with the title "Big green egg worlds best smoker! Cookbook and manual."These books had the green warranty card that I immediately filled out and mailed in to the Mother-Ship!
    ~Pharmeggist

• Pharmeggist
    SyraQ,
    It's not so much me as my wife she tends to like pork when there is no pink other than the smoke ring :=) At least the egg keeps it from drying out like leather! I used to do pork chops back in the day on a gasser they all came out like leather... the egg does its magic. No more gassers for me sold the weber no looking back. [p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
    P.S. I like my steaks Medium!