Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mint Julip Pic

duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
MintJulip.jpg
<p />I have been "experiminting" with Mint Julips for a while now as I have this Mint patch that is getting out of hand, the horror. This is the best one so far and it tasted good too. Next time I am going to use a wider shorter glass. I used Jim Beam from the freezer for this one.

Comments

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    duckegg,
    We have made this recipe quiet a few times and it's pretty good.When Eggtoberfest first started a group of us would meet on Saturday night and have mint juleps in one of our rooms.JJ started this and everytime I see a mint julep I think of him and the good times.
    Larry

[ul][li]JJ's Mint Juleps[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    duckegg,[p]I'm not sure where I got this:
    Mint Julep Recipe [p]Thought you might like to see the julep recipe we distribute at our annual derby party. Borrows heavily from yours that ran in the late great "Southern" magazine some years back and quotes freely from that of Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner, grandson of the Civil War general. We've had derby parties ever since "Southen" published the recipe. We expect to enjoy a little over 10 liters of Maker's Mark this year ...[p]General Buckner's directions for the "Mint Julep the quintessence of gentlemanly beverages" A Mint Julep is not the product of a formula it is a ceremony and must be performed by a gentleman possessing a true sense of the artistic, a deep reverence for the ingredients and a proper appreciation of the occasion. It is a rite that must not be entrusted to a novice, a statistician nor a Yankee. It is a heritage of the South, an emblem of hospitality and a vehicle in which noble minds can travel together upon the flowerstrewn paths of happy and congenial thought. [p]So far as the mere mechanics of the operation are concerned, the procedure, stripped of its ceremonial embellishments, can be described as follows: Go to a spring where cool, crystal-clear water bubbles from under a bank of dew-washed ferns. In a consecrated vessel dip up a little water at the source. Follow the stream through its banks of green moss and wild flowers until it broadens and trickles through beds of mint growing in aromatic profusion and waving softly in the spring breeze. Gather the sweetest and tenderest shoots and gently carry them home. Go to the sideboard and select a decanter of Maker's Mark bourbon, distilled by a master hand, mellowed with age yet still vigorous and inspiring. An ancestral sugar bowl, a row of silver goblets, some spoons and some ice and you are ready to start. Mix over low heat a solution of equal parts sugar and water. Let cool. Choose 20 or 30 small mint leaves, preferably no larger than a dime, and put them in a small bowl. Pour 4 or 5 ounces of bourbon over them so they are covered. Let soak 5 minutes. Gather the leaves in a bunch in clean white cloth and wring them out into the bourbon. Dip the bunch back in the bourbon and wring them out again. Repeat several times. Mix the sugar solution and a liter of Maker's Mark bourbon ? seven parts bourbon to two parts sugar solution. Now add the mint-infused bourbon a tablespoon or less at a time to the bourbon and syrup solution. After each addition you may need to leave the room to clear your nose. You want to add just enough of the minted bourbon so that the mixture has the faint smell of mint and tastes right. Stir thoroughly; you'll know when you've got it right. Add to a cup of ice crushed fine as snow but dry; do not allow it to degenerate into slush. Garnish with mint. Thus harmoniously blended by the deft touches of a skilled hand, you have a beverage eminently appropriate for honorable men and beautiful women. When all is ready assemble your guests on the porch or in the garden where the aroma of the juleps will rise Heavenward and make the birds sing. Propose a worthy toast, raise the goblet to your lips, bury your nose in the mint, inhale a deep breath of its fragrance and sip the nectar of the gods. Being overcome by thirst I can write no further.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    duckegg,[p]We use this recipe from Bill Samuels, of Makers Mark.
    [ul][li]Mint Julep (Maker's Mark)[/ul]
  • duckegg
    YB,
    Thanks,
    That sounds like a good recipe, will give it a try this weekend. That syrup should hold in the fridge for a while too, I would think.[p]Did JJ chill the Early Times first? That worked great as the JB didn't melt any of the ice when poured in and it didn't turn the drink to water.

• YB
    duckegg,
    We did not chill the Early Times but I will next time...Thanks for that info.I think the simple syrup will last for a long time in the fridge.The picture is a toast we made to JJ right after we died.
    Larry

[ul][li]A Toast To JJ[/ul]
  • duckegg
    J Appledog,
    Wow, this guy must have been related to Billy Buckner, this brings back bad memories for New Englanders. [p]Sound a little time consuming too, I do have ferns growing in the back yard though. Maybe I could just get the little lady to strip down and lie under the dew washed ferns with a bucket and spray them with the garden hose.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    YB,[p]Yeah,I too am reminded of our old friend JJ. It just seems like mint juleps and great memories of JJ seem to go hand in hand.[p]tn3-
    Thanks for the memories [p]Smokey

• duckegg
    YB,
    Will raise one for JJ this weekend!

• YB
    Smokey,
    Maybe we should make some for Greenwood and have a toast.
    Larry

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    J Appledog,
    A recipe that reads like a poem. How nice. That's good enough for me to try.[p]Thanks.[p]Spring "AKA Colonel Pullet Of The Chicken Brigade" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    YB,[p]Sounds like a plan!! What can I bring?[p]Smokey
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    YB,
    Where are y'all gonna be at Greenwood?

• YB
    Bobby-Q,
    I,m just coming up for Saturday...Are you going to be there?[p]Larry

• YB
    Smokey,
    I will give you a call next week.I think RumAndJerk may come also.
    Larry

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    YB,
    Yea I'm competing there so please stop by and see me. Just look for the EZ-Up that I'm sure you will recognize.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    YB,
    I agree Larry. I have never experienced it but heard of it quite a bit.[p]JJ was well.............JJ.
    One of a kind.[p]Mick

• YB
    MickeyT,
    Hey Mick come to Eggtoberfest and I will make you some mint juleps and cook you a good meal.
    Larry

• J Appledog,
    This is the one I use as well ... too bad I started with wine this evening .. perhaps I'll switch. I love a nice cold MJ on a hot day. Makers is the only one for me.[p]Doug