Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4yh of July Boudain sausage making(pics)

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all, happy 4th of July to all![p]Second, this is not OT because I'm going to cook it on the BGE.[p]After tjv's post about this sausage I got curious about it. Having never heard of it before, I decided to scour the recipes for it and come up with one that contained the ingredients consistent with most of them. I elected to not use hog liver.[p]Start off by simmering pork butt with an onion, bay leaves, and black peppercorns until it is falling apart.[p]IMG_0259Small.jpg[p]Remove the meat and strain off and reserve the broth.[p]IMG_0262Small.jpg[p]Cook the rice with some of the broth.[p]IMG_0261Small.jpg[p]Gather up some hog casings, parsley, scallions, salt, white pepper, and cayene pepper.[p]IMG_0260Small.jpg[p]Grind the meat, I used the coarse plate.[p]IMG_0263Small.jpg[p]Mix the rice into the meat and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly adding enough reserved broth to keep it from sticking to you hands.[p]IMG_0266Small.jpg[p]Stuff it.[p]IMG_0267Small.jpg[p]IMG_0268Small.jpg[p]I got six 1' links out of this batch. Now can someone tell me how to cook and eat this stuff, and what sides go with it? Do you put condiments on it? -RP[p]

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    AZRP,[p]From what I've read, you eat it plain.[p]Read the reveiws on this page - it sounds like you can do alot to screw this stuff up!! ;)
    [ul][li]Boudin Link[/ul]
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    AZRP,[p] It is typically cooked in steam or hot liquid. Read a post earlier that someone had smoked it. Nice looking links![p]
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    AZRP,
    Comes two ways here, steamed or smoked. I prefer smoked;) Looks like you did a great job. Woulda went with the hog liver though.[p]I like to bite one end off and keep going until it's gone. Or you can split it open and fork some on a cracker. [p]We tell the Salesmen here not to bother bringing donuts when they visit. It's boudain or cracklins!

• AZRP
    ronbeaux,
    So do you eat it as a snack or as a meal? -RP

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    AZRP,[p]Yes!!![p]
  • AZRP
    Celtic Wolf,
    You're a big help! -RP

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    AZRP,[p]Tru enuf' Dat!! [p]Wonder if we can lure Chez out to post one of his Boudain Recipes..[p]
  • El Jefe
    El Jefe Posts: 96
    holy crap, man. that looks better than what you would find in a gas station in scott, la.

for a twist, here is a crawfish (can use shrimp as well) boudin recipe that i use....

Crawfish Boudin

2 pounds Crawfish tails
    Cooking oil
    4 large Onions, chopped
    1/8 cup Flour
    1/2 Small can tomato sauce
    Salt, black and red pepper to taste
    Water
    8 cups Cooked rice (2c uncooked = 6c cooked)
    Hog casing (rinse in luke warm water >30 minutes)

Sauté crawfish tails in oil, stirring occasionally. Add onions and let fry
    5 minutes. Add flour and mix well. Pour in tomato sauce, salt, both peppers and let
    simmer for 5 minutes. Add water and let cook about 25 minutes. Add cooked rice and
    stuff into hog casing. Drop in boiling water and simmer 10 minutes.

Ready to eat !

May be frozen before cooking.

Serves 10
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    AZRP,[p]Nice job on the sausage and the how-to. You can also use a pressure cooker. It's a real time saver and the broth is actually more flavorful. [p]In boudain country it is just about everywhere and every recipe is a tick different and like Ron said comes steamed or grilled. I've even had it steamed first then fried on a short order grill. The steamed is good, you generally bite off one end and then squeeze the filling out with your teeth, when you are through you are left with most of the casing. It's great with soda crackers. [p]I like mine grilled. I start off kind of low temp to allow everything to warm up evenly and then ramp up the temp to crisp the skin. I like it to snap when you take a bite. Not as traditional, but I likes it. I also like a hot sauce, a spicy chow-chow, relish or salsa-like condiment with it. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    thirdeye,
    I had read that the key to a good product was the broth, so I added some of my home made chicken stock to the cooking liquid. -RP

• El Jefe
    El Jefe Posts: 96
    just an fyi, it's boudin ;)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    AZRP,
    I don't know, but your presentation was impressive.[p]Mike

• AZRP,
    I like to grill it direct about 300 riasied grid untill it gets nice and brown, You could also add a little pecan or whatever you prefer for a little smoke. Great work!!!!!
    I bet it will be awesome!

• KW
    KW Posts: 13
    AZRP,
    Oh yeah,after you grill it eat with crackers and some spicy or Creole mustard! Yummmm!

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    AZRP,
    how can you make boudain with out some pig liver?[p]This is what makes boudain,boudain.
    I make boudain all the time. For variety I use half
    white rice and half wild rice. Try it .[p]Howard in Bartow

• AZRP
    MR H,
    About a quarter of the recipes I found also called for pigs blood, I passed on that too. -RP

• AZRP,[p]Looks good...we call dat BOUDIN...not boudain[p]Goooo LSU!!!![p]Just curious why no one has tried the Bon CaCa seasoning marketed down here.[p]
  • AZRP
    RajunCajun,
    Google had it both ways but I think the majority of them were spelled boudin. How is it pronounced? -RP

• AZRP,[p]Oh man..let me give it a try. Boodaan.....boo...dan.[p]try this...say BOO...then say daan...like dang without the g. Then put them together...boudin. Most visitors pronounce it BooDin. Either way we locals know what ya mean. Good stuff.[p]
  • AZRP
    RajunCajun,
    Thanks, now I can pronounce it, make it, and in 20 minutes or so I'm going to taste it. -RP

• AZRP
    IMG_0273Small.jpg
    <p />AZRP,
    Texture wise it was kind of crumbly, the casing was tough enough to have a snap when bitten. We tried cutting the casing and scooping it onto saltines and man, that is some tasty stuff. It was moist enough to pack it onto the cracker. I cooked it indirect, raised grid, @ 250 dome with pecan smoke for 2 hours. -RP

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    AZRP,
    Hey, I've been here 10 years and still can't pronounce some of the stuff.[p]Short story;
    First restraunt I went to was Robin's( ROW BANS) Looked at the menu and saw "Court Bullion" so I asked using the same pronunciation and the waitress said " Sir that's CU-BE-ON.[p]I liked to never have found Tchoupitoulous street in NOLA.

• AZRP,
    Is that the Les stuffer? If not who makes that? Sound like a nice stuffer, not too big or small, just right for a few uses...

• AZRP,[p]Where can one purchase the sausage stuffer you have in your pics. Looks like just the right size for me. Please