Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

North vs. South Carolina Q

Options
jwirlwind
jwirlwind Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok all you bar b q and hash eaters out there. It seems when tv is involved with bar b q, and it comes to the Carolina's, it is always about North Carolina. I ain't never heard of a Yankee cooking good bar b q. Maybe some exceptions. Here in the heart of Dixie and dead in the middle of South Carolina, we make hash with beef. Although some do use pork and some do put pork liver in it. But the real double rectified bar b q hash is make with beef, not pork and served over white rice. As far as the South Carolina bar b q, we use HOG. Pulled pork is butts or ham cooked over hickory,sometimes as long as 24 hours. In North Carolina, they load up the meat with vinegar. Here in South Carolina, we use either ketchup or mustard base home made sauces. Some in Charleston use vinegar base for sauce. The beef hash does have a vinegar base using mustard for the vinegar, along with sage, black pepper, salt, onion, garlic and some paprika. So, if you won't true bar b q, stay out of the yankee state of North Carolina and come south where the real bar b q masters and lovers are. [p]Chef Jerry
and I'm sticking to my story.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jwirlwind, what an eloquent statement. I never knew exactly what went into the hash I ate growing up (and not sure I really want to) but it sure was good. And even though I have traveled over most of the US and western Europe I have never come across anything similar to it so folks outside of SC just have no idea what they are missing.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I can only assume that you can't find it anywhere but SC is because it doesn't "travel well". ;-o)[p]An REAL Eastern NC BBQ fan,
    Rich

• jwirlwind
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    You are right, it don't travel well. When you start eating it, you tend to eat so much, you can't get up and go. [p]Chef Jerry

• jwirlwind
    Options
    Wise One,
    You are truely a Wise One. [p]Chef Jerry

• Curly
    Curly Posts: 46
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Hey Jerry, you got a good hash recipe you wanna share? I grew up in Columbia and thought BBQ was all mustard based for many years. But I'd much rather eat my BBQ now days with a vinegar based sauce...ummm-ummmm.[p]Curly
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Curly,
    I bow to your wisdom.[p]Long live REAL BBQ!!

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]Hmmmm . . . seems to me that up here in the no'th we never had no reason to eat hash . . . [p]But hot damn, that canned spam was really tasty![p]LOL!
  • jwirlwind
    Options
    Curly,
    Jerry's Secrete Recipe[p][p]Rebel Beef Hash[p][p]This recipe is given only to a select few. The character of this grand-OL hash is to be preserved by the select few and used to dazzle others that wish they had the know-how to make it. It is imperative that you follow the exact ingredients to get the full body flavor of this wonderful food.[p]After it is finished, it is best eaten over white rice. Mm mm good. Enjoy.[p][p]Ingredients:[p][p]Boneless chuck roast - about 5 pounds,don’t trim all the fat[p]One big-OL onion[p]½ stick of Land-o-Lakes butter[p]Salt to taste[p]4 tblsp rubbed sage[p]2 tblsp black pepper or to taste, I also like some red crushed pepper[p]1 tblsp minced garlic[p]1/4 cup apple cider vinegar[p]1 1/2 cup yellow mustard, or to taste[p][p]
    The how to:[p][p]cut meat into small pieces.[p]Dice onion[p]In your large pot with lid, I use 8-quart pot, put all ingredients in except mustard.[p]Fill pot to 3/4 full of water and begin boiling for 3 hours or more until meat is very tender. stirring when you feel like it to keep seasoning in the boil. Side of pot tends to allow seasoning to stick to it.[p]After the long wait of boiling, water should be down to just covering meat. Be careful not to let it boil to low or you will have to start over cause meat will burn. mmm[p]With your mash potato smasher, preferred by master chef Jerry, or your weapon of choice, begin smashing meat right in the pot until it is very fine. Do not remove any liquid. Add mustard mixing well. The amount of mustard is not an exact science. I like my hash to have a slightly yellow tent.[p]Get out the white rice you have already cooked, cover it with hash, and eat until you blow up.[p] Master Chef Jerry Hubbard [p][p][p]

• Charles in SC
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    Wow , you typed a mouthful. I never would eat bbq till I learned how to cook it myself. I won a hash contest some years ago but cannot for the life of me figure out what hash has to do with bbq. Maybe you can explain it.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    i didnt know yankees lived south of boston, we make our hash with boiled corned beef, potatoes and onions, and after its done its fried in a castiron skillet and served with eggs for breakfast. whats with the rice. for a real sunday breakfast treat, add beets for red flannel hash. serve with a runny egg on top

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]My parents grew up in Newberry, SC. I can remember going up there and bringing "hash" home in a mason jar, heating it up and serving over white rice. Man, was it good! I always thought it was pork. Whatever it was, it sure was good stuff. Any idea if it can be purchased on-line?