Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner

Options
Mary
Mary Posts: 190
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We unloaded our large egg last night around 10:00! I am excited but, after looking at the DVD, I find that I need a few items that I didn't get with the grill. Where is the best place to purchase EGGcessories? The dealer where we bought the egg didn't have much.

Comments

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    Mary,
    what do you not have?[p]lump is a definite "got to have"

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Mary,[p] It is best to get your dealer to order them for you. If you have more then one dealer near you check all of them. [p] If all else fails click on the Home link on the main forum page. The number for the Retail store in Atlanta will be there. You can order everything from them, but you will end up paying shipping.[p]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Mary, give us a list of the things you think you need but did not get. There may be a suitable (or suitable for a short time) and readily available substitute for many of the items.

• Mary
    Options
    Wise One,

I THINK I need a plate setter, large baking stone, drip pans, V-rack, and I would like to have a grill extender (maybe the three-tier). Of course, a digital probe would also be nice!! I don't do many whole chickens or turkey but the vertical roasters would be somewhere down the list, too.[p]Thanks for you help!!

• Mary
    Options
    Metalhead,[p]I do have the lump. I also have a bag of Jack Daniel chips. They didn't have much of a selection of chips... not much optional at all![p]Thanks!
  • Mary
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Thanks, they said they could order but I am over an hour away from them. I just thought there might be a quicker way to get started.[p]I am reading on the forum about slow cooking so you don't damage the gaskets. How long should I slow cook and at what maximum temperature before searing steaks, etc.?

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Mary,[p] Just keep your cooks below 500 for maybe 5-10 cooks. Pizza's and Steak sears are really the only time you need to get above that anyway.[p] Treat the egg and recipes the same way you would your inside oven. As it has been said "Anything you can make on or in your stove at home can be done on the egg better."[p]
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Mary,[p]The first accessory I had and have was a raised grill made from a grate from my retired Brinkman and 4 legs made from stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts. (Don't get the common zinc plated hardware, it makes toxic fumes.) With just that and an old pie pan sitting on the lower BGE grate I was good to go for quite a number of cooks. [p]While you look over various online sources for accessories, consider buying a replacement grill of appropriate size from a local home improvement center, and some hardware.[p]gdenby[p]P.S. Oh, and it might be a good idea to avoid searing steaks for the first dozen or so cooks. Sometimes the gasket glue tends to go liquid until cured by use, and the gaskets can fuse.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Mary, let's go through the list -
    plate setter - although there is no real substitute for a plate setter, you can use firebricks (or even foil covered tiles) as a temporary measure. Tiles will normally crack under the heat so don't be surprised.

large baking stone - you can pick up pizza stones from most kitchen stores (or even Target) but the BGE stone does not seem to crack from the heat[p]drip pans - you can pick up disposable aluminum pans from the grocery store and I actually like these better. If I line them with aluminum foil, I can usually get 5-6 cooks out of each one with minimal cleanup[p]V-rack - most kitchen stores, Target or grocery stores carry a rack that can be used[p]grill extender - you can bu a similar size grill from any store that sells BBQ supplies (Weber or whatever). These can be rested on firebricks or with a little ingenuity, threaded bolts with large washers can be attached in three or four places so that it can rest on the grill below.[p]digital probe - no real substitute but a meat thermometer (available from most grocery stores) can get you by in a pinch.[p]Have fun, sounds like you have all the real necessities and a good idea of the "niceties" for the BGE.

• Mary
    Options
    gdenby,
    Thanks for the tips and advice!! I am rearing to go!

• Mary
    Options
    Wise One,
    THANK YOU!! It sounds like I won't have to wait as long as I had thought for those ribs!! (The steaks can be delayed a few days!)

• Mary
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Thanks, Wolf. I really appreciate the help. I will probably be a regular on the forum. It seems the quickest way to get expert help!!

• Unknown
    Options
    Mary,[p]If you have a Tuesday Morning store near you, I picked up a stainless steel v-rack there (char-broil brand) for $10 about a month ago. Worth checking out.[p]If you do vegetables, I recommend Bed Bath and Beyond with their $15 stainless steel grill wok with removable handle.