Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with Corian top

Options
TheGrillisGone
TheGrillisGone Posts: 133
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before I start cutting and no turning back... I am replacing the top on my table for a large egg. Will the same 21" hole be ok with corian or does it need to be bigger due to heat.[p]Thanks![p]Jim

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    TheGrillisGone,
    I think you're fine with the same space allowance. My wood table got hot a couple of times but only because I let the Egg burn @ 800° for almost half an hour to give it a good cleaning. The rest of the time I think the Texas sun was hotter than the Egg.[p]Spring "Hot To Touch" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    TheGrillisGone,
    i have a corian c-top for my egg and i provided a 1/4" buffer around the outer circumference of my large egg which i believe provides an adequate amount of space to dissipate any heat from the egg. [p]for your benefit, dupont suggests that the corian not come in direct contact with a sustained heat source in excess of 212 F i have never measured the exterior temp of the egg during a high temp cook, but neither have i seen any negative impact to the corian either. [p]good luck
    mark

• TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Thanks again
    I will a post picture when I'm finished.[p]Jim

• TheGrillisGone
    Options
    markkal123,[p]Thanks again![p]Amazing how you can get so much 1st hand information on this forum.[p]Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    TheGrillisGone,[p]I've been wondering this same thing. When I get arond to building my table, I plan on allowing a half-inch clearance and buying some extra gasket material and putting it around the edge. I think that'll be mostly for my peace of mind. But it wouldn't hurt.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    ThinkandDrive,
    extra gasket material? Hey, I understand the concept of wearing both a belt and suppenders, but what protection would you get from extra gasket material? Unless you mean a Rutland or Cotronics perhaps. Just curious...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    Options
    RRP,[p]I bet he is thinking of puttting the gasket material on the opening of the corian but not positive
  • ThinkandDrive
    Options
    Yup, I mean gasket material along the edge of the Corian, just to insulate the edge which may be facing the egg.

I seriously doubt it would get an issue. But it could also alleviate any concern that the table might be bumped and the egg "crack" into the corian. Would have to be a buffalo to hit the table that hard, I guess. But I'm just overly cautious.