Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone cooking any Baby backs today?

Zilm-disabled
Zilm-disabled Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Threw two slabs of Baby Backs on ar 1:20 this afternoon, Will the foil method work with these and if so should I alter the times?

Comments

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Zilm,
    I am, but these are my first on my week old Egg (3 racks). Second "2" in a 2:2:1 will be over in about 20 minutes; I will report back on what I find when the foil comes off... stay tuned.[p]TD

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Zilm,
    since you didn't say what your game plan is we can't really answer your question. I'm cooking baby backs this afternoon myself - but I'm using the 3/1/1 method which is popular here. The first "1" is the foil stage.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Tony,
    2/2/1 is a new variation to me! I fear two hours in foil will reduce those ribs to nearly boiled meat and will be mushy. Might want to think that one through again!

• I've only had the egg about a week too, Zilm, but I've been cooking on it almost every day. This is my 3rd rib cook (these are spareribs, the first two were baby backs) I'm not following any recipe - just winging based on my old smoker experience, so if any egg vets out there see a problem with my technique, please let me know.[p]
    I'm cooking spare ribs, and I was planning on doing it at 205-220, indirect heat 3/2/00:20,
    spritzing with apple juice every 45 minutes. Is 3 hours too long for spares before I foil them?[p]I'm grilling all my sides too: Carolina sweet corn, barbecue-sauced whole vidalias, and honey-balsamic grilled cantaloupe. I can't wait for sundown!

• Tony
    Zilm,[p]I just gott'em outta the foil. If I can figure out how to post pics, I will. Unitl then, just a written descript: They were beautiful in color, the meat had pulled back from the bones a bit, and they were so very tender, I had to be real careful taking them from the foil back to the grill. I don't think they're gonna go the whole last hour; I will likely sauce them in about 15 to 20 minutes, and pull'em 15 to 20 minutes after that. [p]Summary: They're looking danged good to me!![p]TD
  • RRP,[p]I used to do 3/2/00:20 on my old smoker. I like the meat to be pull-apart tender (though not quite fall-off-the-bone.) Do you think 2 hours is too long to foil even if the temp is between 210 and 220 and the heat is indirect?
  • Tony
    RRP,
    I hear ya, appreciate it, and I personally had no clue; I was just following something I read in the BGE archives.[p]Having said that, they were looking pretty righteous to me just now.[p]Have any idea how to post pics?[p]TD

• Tony
    RRP,
    Check your e-mail; I didn't figure out how to post, but did find your address.[p]How do they look?[p]TD

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Tony,[p]Try this link for information on posting pics...[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/howtopostaphoto.htm[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Tony
    AnnaG,
    Eggselent; they are uploading to photbucket as I type; stay tuned.[p]Just sauced'em; couldn't resist pulling a sample. Tender, but not mushy; they will be coming off very soon, now![p]Thanks,
    TD

• AnnaG
    Tony,[p]Very good Tony, can't wait to see pics...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Zilm,
    Four slabs are almost ready for the foil stage. Ronbo's bbq beans are nraely done. Final step will be portabellas with prosciutto & provalone.

• Tony
    AnnaG,
    Well, if I did it all right, here they are![p]Foil Opening:
    Big_Green_Ribs_IMG_0636_2007.jpg[p]Close-up in Foil:
    Big_Green_Ribs_IMG_0637_2007.jpg[p]Another in foil:
    Big_Green_Ribs_IMG_0638_2007.jpg[p]Back on the Egg:
    Big_Green_Ribs_IMG_0639_2007.jpg[p]Close-up on the Egg:
    Big_Green_Ribs_IMG_0640_2007.jpg[p]Now - off to retrive them for a bit of rest before the feast!![p]Thanks AnnaG![p]TD

• 260106073.jpg
    <p />Zilm,
    Not today, but yesterday I did a rack of BB's and Spare's

• AnnaG
    Tony,[p]Good job Tony! Those pics have me wanting ribs. I never met a rib that I didn't like! [p]Unfortunately, I don't think that is on the diet, but I can live vicariously through your pics...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...

• Tony
    AnnaG,
    Can't eat ribs? Shoot me now! lol...[p]Thanks for the help with the link to instructions, and the compliment! The forum needs to look out over the next few days; I have my first week with the Egg photos to post - but not until after dinner and the mandatory after-dinner nap! I love this thing; especially with the Guru on the job. Wow... shoulda bought one years ago![p]The ribs are resting now; I gotta go throw the potato salad & cole slaw together real quick... and check on the beans![p]TD

• Tony
    Caveman Smoker,[p]Looks great! [p]How do you get the little camera icon to show up next to the post? I posted some further down (my first to the forum); but the post did get the littel icon...[p]TD
  • RRP
    Tony,
    the camera icon appears when you post a single picture in the Image URL field, but you posted multiple pictures within the text, hence no icon. HTH

• Zilm,
    We just finished a couple of slabs Baby Backs yum!! Cooked them using the 3-1-1- method but I shortened the last hour to 40 minutes as they were almost finished after the foil stage. I finished the slabs with some Blues Hog sauce and let me tell you Good Eats!!! I do not remember who told me about Blues Hog but if your out there THANKS!!!!!!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • RRP
    IMG_1410.jpg
    <p />Retired RailRoader,
    Blue's products??? Never heard of them...hehehe

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Zilm,[p]I am. But I'm trying a new recipe. Well, new to the egg. It's an old Sunset recipe for a Hawaiian style rib that was created to be cooked in an oven. That's the way I've always made them. Today we're trying them on the egg. I'm going to make it as near to the oven method as possible, so indirect at 350 for about 1.5 hours.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    gdribs01.jpg
    <p />Zilm,
    Not today, I have cooked a couple. Foil is going to give you fall off the bone.
    Good luck.[p]Mike

• RRP,
    Had them for the 1st time today and I am a believer. By the way congrats on your win last week.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.