Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You put rub on THAT?

Lab Rat
Lab Rat Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, here's a dumb question:[p]What's the most unusual FOOD item that you've spiced up with rub - and actually liked?[p]I picked up an assortment of Dizzy Pig rubs last Saturday at the Peoria Eggfest after hearing their praises on the forum. Since I was stuffed from the eggfest, we just had a light supper on Saturday night.[p]Sunday morning I was eating a ham and cheese omelet while reading the labels on the rub. Before I knew it, I was testing out the "Shakin' the Tree" on the omelet. It was good![p]Anybody else have one of these enlightening moments?

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Lab Rat,
    Try Jamacian Firewalk in a bloody mary!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Lab Rat,
    Deviled eggs.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Lab Rat,[p]Corn on the cob, acorn squash and cowboy potatoes.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    thirdeye,
    The Raging River is my favortie on corn. What about you?[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Car Wash Mike,[p]For a base to accent the sweetness of the corn, yes. I like a dash of Swamp Venom or Tony C for a back flavor.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Lab Rat,
    Baked potatos with shaking the tree and lots of butter.[p]Brussel sprounts with shaking the tree absolutely rock![p]Sproutsyummmmmmm.jpg

• Lab Rat,[p]I put a little Dizzy Dust in when I'm preparing eggs to scramble. [p]Also on hash browns. [p]Also, use Dizzy Pig products when preparing fish for a fish fry (got a sample of Jamaican Firewalk, and imagine that'll go good on fried fish - gonna try that next time).
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Lab Rat,
    Poppadoms! Spray will a little oil, add the rub, microwave for about 30 seconds. Yum![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    The Naked Whiz,
    Went to the archives and could not find poppadoms.Hate to feel stupid,but what are they?

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    darnoc,
    I had the same question and actually had to look it up! :-)
    This is what I found:[p]The papadum (for alternative names see box) is a thin South Asian wafer, sometimes described as a cracker or flatbread, typically made from lentil, chickpea, black gram or rice flour.In Dakshina Kannada district, jackfruit and sabudana are also used as ingredients in making of Happala.
    Salt and peanut oil are added to make a dough, which can be flavored with seasonings such as, for example, chili, cumin, garlic or black pepper.
    The dough is shaped into a tortilla-like round and can be cooked by deep-frying, roasting over an open flame, toasting, or microwaving, depending on the desired texture.
    Papadums are typically served as an accompaniment to a meal, an appetizer or a snack and eaten topped with chutney or other dips.
    Papadums are made in different sizes. The smaller ones can be eaten like a snack chip and the larger ones can be used to make wraps. [p]Simply put ... they're some kind of tortilla/pancake thingie. :-)[p]Yikes!
    Peter

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    omba,
    Thank you for the information.I frequent oriental grocery stores and have never seen them before.I guess I will hunt down the stuff to make them from scratch and give them a try.Have had Italian,Greek,Mexican versions.I learned something new today.Thanks again.

• Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    Lab Rat,[p]On the rim of the glass for a bloody mary or on the rim of the glass for a salted Tecate beer--See-Yaa
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    PunjabiSpecial.jpg
    <p />darnoc,[p]If you do make them, they absolutely have to be rolled out super-wafer thin.
    It's not one to dissuade anyone from trying a new recipe, but I think you'd be better off trying to find them locally or online and give them a try before going through all of the work of making them. They're salty, spicy and taste unlike anything else.
    We love them and always have a few packs around. The cumin and cracked pepper are our favorites. We cook a lot of Indian food and we actually served a bunch of them with this weekend's homemade tandoori chicken. Like Naked sez, nuke for about 30 seconds until golden, puffy and crispy. [p]john

• Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    Lab Rat,[p]Jamaican Firewalk on the morning oatmeal![p]Tom