Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Overnight Low & Slow

Palisin
Palisin Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I am going to cook 2 Boston butts, and 2 beef briskets. I got the briskets @ Costco and the do not have a fat cap. I am doing an indirect cook and I have a 2 layer set ready to roll. The briskets are not very fatty so my plan was to put the pork buts over top so the juices would run down onto the beef. Any suggestions or go with the plan?

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Palisin,[p]The butts on top sounds like a plan, also, pick up a pound or so of good fatty bacon and put it on the top of the brisket while you cook it. It will add some flavor and also keep it moist. Other than that, let 'er fly and have some good eats tomorrow.[p]Troy
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Palisin,
    Beware the Curse!!!

• Palisin
    bdavidson,
    Ya gon Jinxed me!
    I will now have to stay up all night keeping company with Barley POP!

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Palisin,
    Happy to be of service to ya! :-)

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Palisin, Sounds like a plan to me! I like Sprinter's bacon, too. The other thing I do is use one of those little hand-held "meat tenderizers." Kinda like an ice pick, but with a couple dozen sharp points on the business end. I pound too-lean briskets with it, to (in theory at least) separate the fibers.
    With the Egg, I can get away with a 3 or 4 hour sleep cycle between checking. With my old Brinkmann offset that was a 1 hour sleep cycle. Just make sure you've got your temp "locked in" before you hit the hay.
    How do you like the 2-layer set up? I've been toying with the idea of getting one, but so far have resisted temptation.
    Good luck.

• Palisin
    BlueSmoke,
    I like the 2 layer system and I am still tweaking but it worked great this weekend!