Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Herb-Baked Fish Recipe

Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was printed in the Washington Post food column, "On The Fridge" a couple of weeks ago. It's adapted from my friend and mentor Grace Pilato's newly published cookbook. I'll interject a shameless plug here; Jim took the photos in the book, and I helped with food styling, recipes, and (of course!) eating. But sadly, no Egg recipes. This is copied directly from the Washington Post, and I added my own comments preceded by **. This was SO good, I just couldn't believe it. Fast and easy, too. You can't beat that combination.[p]Herb-Baked Fish [p](4 servings) [p]For variety's sake, some of the simplest, most satisfying recipes can be easily altered by swapping one herb for another. Think tarragon instead of thyme. Rosemary instead of oregano. Parsley instead of mint. Whatever the herb in this recipe, the sauce that results is fantastic; serve it spooned over boiled new potatoes or rice.[p]Adapted from "Cooking With Grace: A Step-by-Step Course in Authentic Italian Cooking" by Grace Pilato (St. Martin's Press, $35).[p]2 tablespoons butter, plus additional for the foil **I used oil instead
4 fillets of flounder, haddock, sole or orange roughy (about 1 1/2 pounds total) **I used scrod
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 medium shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced **mine was a really BIG clove of garlic!
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil **I used 1 tablespoon
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, mint or Italian flat-leaf parsley or a combination **I used a combination of fresh basil and parsley
6 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs or cracker crumbs (optional) **I used Ritz cracker crumbs, and they were great[p]Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly oil.[p]Pat the fish dry with paper towels. Transfer to the foil-lined sheet and season with salt and pepper to taste.[p]In a small skillet over medium-high heat, melt the 2 tablespoons butter. Add the shallots, garlic and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, until the shallots are softened, 3 to 4 minutes.[p]Remove from the heat; add the oil, lemon juice and herbs and stir to combine. Pour the mixture over the fillets. If necessary, tuck the thin end portions of each fillet underneath the thicker portions to form rectangular pieces of fish of almost even thickness. If desired, sprinkle the fillets with the bread crumbs or cracker crumbs. **I seasoned the fish and let it marinate for about 45 min. I then drizzled all the remaining sauce over the fish.[p]**I heated the Egg to about 400 degrees and baked the fish indirect over a couple of firebricks[p]Bake the fish, uncovered, until cooked through (it should be opaque throughout and flake easily), 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet. **I think it took perhaps 12 minutes.
Serve immediately with a little of the sauce.[p]**The fish gave off some wonderful juice, and the resulting sauce was so flavorful we were happy to have some good bread to sop it up.

Comments