Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Father's Day ideas ... for my wife!

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two years ago, my lovely wife bought the best present for me ever, my Big Green Egg. Since then, most of my presents have something to do with BBQ or grilling, which is great! What's not so great is that she sometimes gets weird ideas (like a marshmallow rotisserie that has only been used once...)[p]So, I need your help. I could really use some stuff, and I'd like to give her direction on what specifically to get.[p]1) A grill light. I just expanded my backyard patio, which has given me a lot more room to spread out my grill stuff. The only downside is that the BGE is even further away from the one outdoor light, so I can't see squat at night. My Egg sits in one of the standard tables (with a small prep area to one side.) What is the best grill light for this setup?[p]2) An ash bucket. In the past, I've always tried to put one of those plastic grocery bags up to the bottom of my Egg when I'm cleaning it out. But I'm thinking it would be better to just put an ash bucket under the Egg, and simply push everything to fall into it. A little ash will get on the bottom part of the table, but that's easily dusted into the bucket along with the rest. Is this how the rest of you do it? Or have you come up with a better system?[p]Thanks in advance![p]Mike

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    here is what i do for the ash
    DSCN0006.jpg
    dont have a answer for question #1 i went through 3 grill lights before i bit the bullet and updated house lights
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    Do you have a good outdoor storage area for your things?[p]I'm using a "garden" center that is not fitting the bill. I'm on the hunt for something better. That might be an option.[p]H

• Eggtuary
    Options
    Hey, dhuff! I figured you'd see this before long![p]Yeah, I bought a really big deck box last year for just this purpose. It has a shelf on one side, so it's pretty useful. Granted, a lot of stuff is piled in there with little semblance of organization, but at least I'm not storing it in the garage anymore...[p]
  • Eggtuary
    Options
    BENTE,
    I'm afraid I can't see your picture from work. I'll have to check it out from home tonight.[p]Thanks!

• Eggtuary
    Options
    Jupiter Jim,
    I looked up the grill light you're talking about. That looks nice! So do you get plenty of light from it? I've been impressed what these LED lights can do. I had an LED headlamp last summer (used for competitions) but now I can't find it. I keep accusing my wife of "losing" it because she thought I looked like an enormous dork wearing the thing. [p]Of course, most people think I look like an enormous dork regardless of whether I'm wearing illumination devices on my big fat head...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    big 400 watt metal halide light, either mounted high on the house, in a tree, or on a pole, light up the hole patio yard. ive got one that was givien to me that will eventually go up on a swivel base so that i can light my side of the lake up. a coal bucket works well for the ash, but my fire pit is close enough that i just toss it there.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Jupiter Jim,
    I also have one of those. Since I have my eggs in a table I screwed down a couple fender washers so as to use the earth magnets on the base of the light.
    IMG_1616.jpg

Very surprising just how much light that puts out!
    IMG_1615.jpg

OTOH I still use this hard hat most often!
    IMG_00611.jpg[p]

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    I need something with a roof. I've got a monster deck box/bench thing too with the kids stuff in it. They leave the lid open and it gets rain in it too often. No matter how many times I tell them they still get into my "garden" center too. The stoopid garden center would be perfect if it was 2 inches deeper.

• dhuffjr
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    Angela used to make fun of my big fat head too. I always told her to laugh it up I weighed almost 10 lbs when I was born and she was going to have my kids with my big head.[p]Lucky for her she has a crappy cervix and our kids where born early so they didn't grow to their full head potential :>)[p]H

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]Thermapen

• digimidi
    digimidi Posts: 3
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]I got a small shop vac from Home Depot to clean my ash out with. Just stick the hose in front of the vent and scoop the ash out. Much easier than scooping into a bag or bucket.[p]Gil

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    head dork,
    OK, I'll bite. What is it in that bottom photo?

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    This has worked good for me and you can lock it.It's made by RuberMaid and found it at Home Depot.
    Larry

[ul][li]Egg Tools Locker[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,[p]Zee picture eez a link. Clink zee link.