Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back from FL vacation, back to egging

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]After a great week and a couple of days in FL, I'm back to work, but it is nice to get back. We ate our weight in seafood while we were there and I brought back some great shrimp and various species of fish that will see the grill in the next few weeks.[p]Last night I grilled some shrimp that were marinated in some olive oil and a real basic q rub. I grilled them direct for about 4 minutes a side over about 325. They came out great. These were HUGE shrimp, about 12 count I think. They grilled up wonderfully and we have about 5 pounds remaining.[p]Then, what would a trip to FL be without going out fishing for a couple of days. We hooked into a few nice King Mackerel, have about 25 pounds of fillets and steaks ready to cook. Then we also had a good day out in the deep water bringing in about 15 good size red snapper, more smaller ones, and a few nice grouper as well. Picked up a nice dolphin (not the "flipper" type) by pure chance, have never caught or cooked one of those but it looks like a real nice fish. Looking forward to putting these on the grill over the next few weeks. Snapper are fillets except for 3 fish, they are just cleaned and whole. One grouper is whole also, the rest are fillets.[p]So, back to egging and enjoying the group. If anything above comes out real well I'll post it, otherwise I'll just enjoy it myself and keep 'sperimenting till I find a real winner.[p]Troy

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    sprinter, I need to talk to your guide. I never got into any fish like that when I go the Florida. We usually leave out of Mayport or St. Augustine. I think your Cards are in town this week for a few days. Planning on going out the first day. Let me know about the recipes you use and results since I'll be going back down in October and try
    to get into some good fish.[p]CWM

• sprinter
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Don't use a guide, my folks have a boat down there and I've been fishing the Panama City to Destin to Fort Walton Beach area for about 6-7 years now. After awhile you get to know the area, know what to fish for and when. We have our good days and bad days but generally dont get skunked. The water was ROUGH this time for the deep water fishing, I think we were in about 4-6 foot waves. Tough staying over the underwater structure but you knew when you were on it as the fish were hitting HARD. We were about 25 miles out for the deep water fish, about 2 miles out max. for the Mackerel. Good luck with your trip, hope you get into some fish. By that time the larger snapper and grouper will have moved in a quite a bit too. Had we gone out another 10-15 miles we would have really gotten some big ones I think, they were really hitting well. That makes for a long day though.[p]They may not be St. Louis Cards for long if the city doesn't do something about that stadium. The Cards are really looking for a new site and several local communities have offered to build for them. Interesting to see this play out.[p]Troy
  • SpiceCooks
    SpiceCooks Posts: 80
    Options
    sprinter,
    Welcome back to reality! Glad to see you back. Your kind words of wisdom were missing last week!

• sprinter
    Options
    SpiceCooks,[p]Thanks for the kind words, its good to be back.[p]Troy
  • flajoker
    flajoker Posts: 52
    Options
    sprinter, you almost got to the best place in Fla. Destin is a beautiful place and great for fishing. But next time try Pensacola, about 30 miles east of Destin. If you like the beach you're in for a treat.

• sprinter
    Options
    flajoker,[p]I've been there a few times and have trolled by many a time on the water in search of Cobia. Beautiful area. My folks kept their boat in Destin for about 3 years then moved to Panama City about 4 years ago. Both are pretty areas by themselves and taken as a whole, the panhandle of FL is awesome.[p]Troy