Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook a 17.5 lb brisket???

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked a bunch of briskets over the past year, but none over 12 pounds. Tonight I went a little crazy and got a 17.5 pound packer cut at Sam's. Anything special I need to know? I was thinking I could cook it until the flat hits about 190, then slide the point off and cook them separately. I should get a TON of burnt ends off this thing...[p]I'm open to ideas. If anyone has had success with one this large, I'm all ears![p]Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]I would hate to see the steer it came off of angry. Hehee. First, I would break out your tape measure and see if it will fit. You may have to do some fancy rigging with a V rack for a few hours until it shrinks.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    i did a 17 pounder at chesapeake last year ...it was a beauty! ...by the time i trimmed it out first, it was probably down to around 12 - 13 pounds (i pulled a good 4 -5 pounds of fat out of it). . .i barely left the point attached, and so i was able to get it on the large egg by shifting the point a bit (i like to go point up). .. i gave it a good coating of sugar, wrapped it and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. . .then a good rubbing of dizzy cowlick and on to the egg att 250 dome temp, indirect. . .let er go till it hit 160 internal. ..then i wrapped it in triple foil till and back into the egg till it was 195 in the flat. ..then put in the cooler for a few hours, then when i was ready to present it, i took off the point and put it back in the egg at 350 direct, turning it over every 5 - 10 minutes or so for about 30 minutes. ... it was fantastic . ..won us first place down there ... .

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Why aren't you in Waldorf . . .[p]Whoops . . .I forgot . . . you live here! [p]How was lunch?
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I did a 22 lb chuck roll last year. It was a tough fit on my XL egg. I got it done though. Since then though I've stuck with one less than 18 lbs. I imagine a brisket is thinner than my chuck roll was. If it won't fit , cut it in half and use a second shelf is my recommendation.