Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Operation BBQ

The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
obbq0.jpg
<p />Seems, I missed something these past few days. Celtic Wolf and I journeyed down to Camp Lejeune, NC to help cook BBQ for the 2d Tank Battalion. This is an operation run by a fellow named Del King, a former Marine, and a hell of guy. We had 4 stick burners there, and Celtic Wolf brought Miss Penny, so Eggers were well represented, LOL. There were some Marines who had recently returned from Iraq and some Marines who were about to deploy, and their families. It was a wonderful experience. The Marines were truly appreciative for everyone's contributions. (Especially Del, who drove from California to do this. He does them regularly out in California, but made a special trip out to NC for 2d Tanks.) I thought you might enjoy a few photos. I'll be posting the whole lot to my website in a few days. Maybe we can see some of you out for the next one. There will be on in California, mid-May and there may be another one in August at Lejeune.[p]obbq1.jpg

obbq2.jpg

obbq3.jpg

obbq4.jpg

obbq5.jpg
[p]
TNW

The Naked Whiz

Comments

• doug. .. that's pretty special. .. thanks for sharing!!
  • The Naked Whiz,next [p]Please post info when August event comes up. I live in Charleston and would love to help out! But, August.....it will be NICE and cool...... Paul

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Midnight Smoker,
    Cool, yeah. Anybody got a portable shower. Heck, I'll bet the Marines could set us up with a mobile shower unit. LOL!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I know the troops appreciated it as also hope they know thaty we appreciate what they do. [p]Semper Fi,[p]Smokey
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    The Naked Whiz,
    That's a special thing ya'll did for these troops. I'd like to come next time if you'll let us know............Have small......will travel!

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Way and very cool guys. SCBA has been sending various rubs abd sauces to Iraq. Seems the one thing they miss next to family and friends is good old BBQ.[p]You guys did a good thing! Likewise please let me know when thye next event is and I will yank the trailer down.[p]David Lee

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Outstanding job![p]That last photo sums it all up...
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    The Naked Whiz,
    outstanding work fellas!....proud to be an american! god bless our troops...

• The Naked Whiz, let me know, I will definitely try to be there for my boys. I haven't been to Camp Lejeune since 1968. I'm not sure that I could cook as well as you guys, but if we plan it right. Pluggers like me can do some pork butts and let you and Pete do the "fancy stuff". Definetly let me know.[p]Joe (USMC class of 86).

• Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    The Naked Whiz,
    Still cooler then Iraq. That was an awesome thing to do. I would love to help out in any way possible. We owe our troops everything

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    The Naked Whiz,[p]That's a great thing you and Pete,(and anyone else I don't know) did!![p]It's one thing,(and currently fashionable) to say...
    "We support the Troops!!"...
    it's quite another to put deed to word!!![p]Smitty did a like project in the SF Bay area last Spring
    ... on an Aircraft Carrier![p]Kudos to you Doug!!![p]Evans[p]PS...any thoughts on a Marine issue... "Whiz Thong"?

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • The Naked Whiz,
    great job guys! i'm sure the troops and their families really appreciated everything you did for them. please let us know when you post the rest of the photos!

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Chubby,
    It would have to be cotton and olive drab. With the Corps recent crackdown on large tattoos I don't think thong wear is going to make it into the official equipement list.....even for the WMs....LOL[p]H

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    The Naked Whiz,
    That is outstanding. If you do another one in August let me know ASAP. I'd love to come and help if I can squeeze in a long weekend.[p]H

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The Naked Whiz,[p] Del does these all over the country. The next one he is doing will be at 29 Palms May 11th I believe.[p] One of the Colonels at Camp LeJeune asked if he would do another one here Aug 24th. The next time all five of my eggs will cooking. [p] You don't need to cook. You can help get the food ready to serve or help serve the food. Few things in my life I have done that humbled me.. This one is one top of that list.
  • The Naked Whiz, Any Midwest (Illinois) events planned?
    I'm in for whatever it takes to make a soldiers day.
    Just a newbie here, but grunt work, help with food purchase anything consider me in.

• The Naked Whiz,[p]It was great to meet you there along the other supports of the event to name a few, David and Alan. It was and always will be an honor to serve our Troops and their Families.[p]Grant Ford, BBQ'n Fools