Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping ... Bread Eggsperts Clay Q recipe

Options
Steeler Fan
Steeler Fan Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time for me to make any loaf of bread but I have a good backup (wife). Question #1
2 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten (Where do I get this? Is there a substitute?
Add to the batter one packet of yeast(the first packet got drunk)with 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon molasses, 2 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten, 1 Tablespoon kosher salt, 1 egg beaten in a little water, [p]Question #2 I'm assuming when he states indirect cook, means placesetter inverted and put a pizza stone on top of it. Is that correct?

Comments

• smokeydrew
    smokeydrew Posts: 130
    Options
    Steeler Fan,[p]#1: I found it at wholefoods, but I think you may also find it at nutrition stores.[p]#2: yes, indirect inverted platesetter, w/ pizza stone on top.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Steeler Fan,
    Yup, you got it. I use the grid on inverted plate setter to support the pizza stone.
    Wheat gluten is in the large grocery stores. You don't need it to make bread, but it helps with structure on heavy doughs and rye flour so it proofs well.
    If your going the direction I do you'll mix by hand adding enough flour to make the dough leave the sides of the bowl. Dump out on a floured board and start kneading by hand adding more flour a little at a time as you knead until it feels about right, a little sticky but springy. Knead about 15 minutes to make it good. Then there is the fermentation, about 1 hour, then form into loaves and proof, about 1 1/2- 2 hours. Get the egg going during the proofing so its well heated, burning clean for 45-60 minutes before the first loaf goes in.
    Clay

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    ClayQ, Thanks for the reply. The thing that I did not understand was the word VITAL Wheat gluten. I got Wheat gluten but not VITAL. Do I need to find it at nutrition stores as smokeydrew responded (Thanks by the way)?

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Steeler Fan,
    Our local Piggly Wiggly super market sells Hodgson Mill Vital Wheat Gluten. Health food stores, nutrition stores sell wheat gluten also. Vital wheat gluten is basically wheat flour with the starch removed.

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    ClayQ, Thanks, Tommorrow the adventure begins. do you realize if I pull this off...well then I can outsource the spouse just like them big corporation. hehehe