Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Define Dome Temp, Pit Temp Etc Please

Options
bbqdiva
bbqdiva Posts: 192
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all....could someone please discuss the various temperatures that occur when using the Egg. I'm familiar with the Dome temp, I only have a dome thermometer. [p]Where exactly is the "Pit" temp measured?[p]How about the temp actually at grid level, is that different than dome temp?[p]
Thanks again for expanding my knowledge base :P[p]Tish

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    bbqdiva,
    For the reason you just mentioned..." I only have a dome thermometer " almost every recipe you get from this forum is based on " dome thermometer " UNLESS the poster specifically states grid temp...since not everyone has the means to measure grid temp, dome temp is the "standard"....pit and grid are for the most part the same thing, depending on where one would locate the "pit" probe...so just figure, unless otherwise noted a recipe refers to DOME temp.[p]Wess

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    bbqdiva,[p]Adding to what WessB said, you will generally find that the grid temperature is LESS than the dome temp. This fact is not entirely obvious, given that the grid is closer to the coals than the dome. The scale of the temperature differential depends several factors, (a) raised grid or lower grid, (b) amount of ceramic mass in inside the egg (plate setter, fire bricks, etc.), (c) direct or indirect cooking method, (d) duration of the cook, and (e) other factors.[p]For an indirect low and slow cook, the grid temperature might average 25-40 degrees less than the dome temperature. I have experimented by placing temperature probes through the top of the daisy wheel and at grid level during cooks and monitored the temperature differential. There is a wide variation in temperatures, and it fluctuates over time.[p]The good news is that the food is tolerant of wide variations in temperature. You just have to adjust your cooking time based on how long it takes to cook each individual meal.
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    WessB, where do you clip your guru pit probe, the grid or the dome thermometer as I recall some others doing?