Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good thing about being a newbie

Paolo
Paolo Posts: 39
..is that every cook is an exciting first.

First spatchcock chicken. Well at leat it was supposed to be a spatchcock, but I'm afraid I cut the wrong side of the bird. Will do better next time!
375 F raised direct for 1 1/2  hours on the top grate of a multilevel rack, dripping on a pan of potatoes.

First full slab of ribs (actually 3) First time I get my hands on what was advertised as a "Saint Louis cut". No way to have it locally so had to order on-line. Does it look fine?

And the cook before foiling

First try with "focaccia", just plain simple with EVO, salt and origano. Stone raised on the top grate of the multilevel at 700 F for 3 minutes.
This is great with "proscutto crudo", cherry tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, makes a great summer alternative to pizza.

One that I'll try as soon as I get the right piece of meat is pork butt. Believe it or not I have never tried (eaten) pulled pork!

Comments

• Turn the narrative around on that spatchcock and you are an “innovator”. 

Looking good on all fronts. You’re circling the bases right quick here. 

When will we see a good polpette on the Egg?
  • Paolo
    @GrateEggspectations polpette, thats a great idea! The local version of polpette in Milan is called "Mondeghili". Leftover meat of any kind, leftover hard bread softened in milk, eggs, spices finished with bread crumb, cooked in hoven or pan. Seems perfect for the EGG
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,788
    IMHO . . . you are off to a good start!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    edited July 16
    All looks fantastic. Those look like St. Louis style ribs to me so looks like you found the right place to order. 

We will just call that “the reverse Spatchcock” and call it a win haha. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Paolo said:
    @GrateEggspectations polpette, thats a great idea! The local version of polpette in Milan is called "Mondeghili". Leftover meat of any kind, leftover hard bread softened in milk, eggs, spices finished with bread crumb, cooked in hoven or pan. Seems perfect for the EGG
    It came to mind because we made it while staying in Pergine Valdarno, Tuscany. A great meal procured from ingredients from the local macelleria. We also made fresh gnocchi with the homeowners.

if you make it on the Egg, please tag me. No pressure. 😉
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    Looking at all your cooks, it's hard to believe you're a newbie.
    Another fun variation of spatchcock chicken is 'leaping frog' chicken, google it!
    I believe you re pulled pork, before I made the 1st one in my BGE I never even heard of it :blush:
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    Paolo said:
    First spatchcock chicken. Well at leat it was supposed to be a spatchcock, but I'm afraid I cut the wrong side of the bird. Will do better next time!

This made me chuckle, but we've all been there!  Bird looks beautiful, how were the breasts?  

One thing I've noticed on over half the "spatchcock chicken" videos I've watched, is that the poster chops directly thru the "oyster", whether they're using scissors, knives or light-sabres.  Yours are sitting right there at the top, perfectly cooked!  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    These is a hidden talent on display here.  A natural in the midst.  Great cooks-keep 'em coming.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Paolo
    edited July 17
    @TheCen-TexSmoker Great that I found a good provider and they also sell butts and brisket! Then I'll call it "reverse spatchcock", sounds nice!

@GrateEggspectations never heard of Pergine Valdarno. I looked it up and seems like a nice place for a relaxed week end. Great that you had the opportinity to visit such a place out of the way from the usual tourist crowds. Will let you know if I try Mondeghili..it will be another first

@CanuggheadThanks for the tip. I had a gas bbq before, but I've been sticking to fast italian style direct cooks and have been wondering for a long time what the cover stood for..

@Botch I went for 180 F in the thighs but the breast wasn't cooked enough in my view. Had to trow it back for another 15 minutes

Having great fun so far, thank you all guys for the nice comments!

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 562
    Congratulations! Everything looks great!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,719
    Welcome and everything looks spectacular 😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,241
    Bravo friend!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA